Where to purchase flavorings for roasted coffee

adau

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I have ordered samples on line from Blue Star Flavors that claim to sell flavoring for roasted coffee that you add after the green beans have been roasted and cooled. They have quite a variety of flavors and are willing to have the chemists work to come up with ones that they don't sell. The problem is this, the flavors do not actually flavor the beans very well. Does anyone else know of any web sites where I can purchase the flavorings to flavor the coffee that I roast. I am hoping to tap into the flavored coffee market, but would like a good distributor and maybe some different flavors. I would really like to know who roasts and flavors beans for Harry & David Company....many different but good flavors. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks so much

GreenDude

Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Depending on your volume of beans you would like to flavor, there are many sources. I have seen flavor for sale at smaller venues like (U-Roast-Um) and have personally purchased flavoring from FFS (Flavor and Fragrance Specilaties) by the 1000's of Lbs....The flavoring I am used to are a syrup/liquid that you pour directly onto the roasted beans, these beans are then tumbled or mixed in cement typw mixers or larger stainless steel mixers....I have seen this done in plastic buckets as well with an attatchment on a drill moter...

GreenDude

Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
tletourneau said:
Do you add the flavor after the beans have cooled? What's the time frame for flavoring beens after roasting them?

Yes, let the beans cool for a bit before flavoring. Also, you would probably want to do a city roast on these, too dark and the oils interfere with saturation.

Ideally you would want to let them de-gas before flavoring, a day or two. Then let them mix for around 20 minutes or so. This is what was explained to me when I was a beginner years ago. If your doing a lot of flavoring, get yourself a big container to store the beans before flavoring.

Hope this helps :)

P.S. if your using the standard syrups for flavoring, be sure to have adequate ventilation. Where I used to work it would stink up the whole joint, and quite possibly, the fumes may 'ruin' regular coffee you have around. try and use a whole seperate room for this, or better yet go across the street!! lol