Which brand of coffee is the Rolls Royce of all coffee?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
If you read the testimonial page on my website -- davenportcoffee.com -- you'll see that one of our fans says that our coffee is "like a BIG Lavazza or Illy" and is now his favorite coffee. So obviously our Red Rooster Coffee must be the Rolls Royce of All Coffee.

Oh, and besides that unbelievably self-serving plug, I'd say most of the roasters on this forum make a Rolls Royce in one form or another.

And then there's the day-to-day RR, what we roast regularly, and then there's the Gold Cup Maximo Supremo Ultimo Fantastico -- that rare instance when we get our hands on an exceptional bag of beans and cry because we have to sell it to make a living instead of hoarding it so we can drink it all -- every last drop -- ourselves!

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
... I'd say most of the roasters on this forum make a Rolls Royce in one form or another.

I agree.

Any coffee you can get fresh roasted (within the last 24-36 hours) is going to be the best coffee you have at that moment. Continuing to explore coffee in this fashion will provide the best experience.

Although there are many great coffees out there, Many of the BIG operations can not provide truly fresh coffee. Once 10,000 pounds are roasted, packaged, shipped to the local distribution center, then to the store for you to purchase, it could be 2-3 months old. If it is GROUND coffee that you are buying, you really are not getting the best experience. Dont waste money on ground coffee if you are looking for the "best".

It is widely believed that "Ground" coffee is at its flavour peak for about 5 minutes. Think on that for a while.

Note: Green coffee can be good for months, roasted coffee for 14-30 days. Once brewed, coffee is at its peak for about 2 minutes. Ouch !

ChopShopCoffee

Dec 6, 2012
Tukwila,WA
Visit site
I suggest finding a local roaster that does organic fair trade coffee! I LOVE LOVE Middle Fork Roasters out of Seattle their coffee is the best I have had! But then again its all in what you like!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I am sure Starbucks would have decent coffee but I haven't found one as of yet.... That doesn't mean i have tried all of their coffee but I love any single origin beans that was roast fresh would be better then most of the staled blend coffee that are being sold in national chain or reseller coffee houses.

My all time favorite is freshly roasted aged 2 days in cold air Blue Mountain Peaberry medium roasted brewed in my french press(bought from Local roaster)..... I had that few weeks ago and I could not get enough of em.... and I was sucking on last drop of the coffee out of my french press.... Yummmmmm

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
The local roaster developed this method of aging like meat. He roast very high end coffee and keep them in the temperature and moisture controlled room(like wine cellar) and he circulate the air with exhaust fan and he leave in the cooler(that's what he calls it) for 2 days. I thought the taste was amazing. I do not know if the aging method really matters but he swears by it works.....

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
PinkRose, any fresh roasted coffee needs to age before use, otherwise most is too harsh to consume from the degassing process. This is especially true when used for espresso. After much tinkering I have an aging/vacuum packing/freezing process I go through when buying in 5 lb. increments from our roaster. This allows me to have extremely fresh coffee as needed for 5-6 weeks after roast.

Can't say that aging under certain conditions is truly more beneficial, but if it works for you/customer then so be it. For the coffee that I use for espresso I know it starts to peak at day 5 after the roast (based on using thousands of pounds of that coffee) and letting it sit at room temperature in the foil lined bag for exactly 5 days, then vacuum packing/deep freezing will give me 5 day old coffee every time I thaw/open a new jar. And people think coffee is just coffee, lmao.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Does the degassing process totally stop when the roasted beans are frozen? When I freeze coffee beans, I get a huge whiff of roasted coffee when I open the container that I put them in. (I put the beans in small freezer bags and put the freezer bags in a large Tupperwate container, and then I put the Tupperware container in a large freezer bag and put the whole thing in the freezer.)

I was wondering if they still degassed in the freezer....maybe they're still degassing as they're slowly freezing and that's what I smell when I open my frozen stash of coffee beans??

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I don't think degassing stop because of the beans are frozen but after about 4-5 days, I think degassing process stops or very small amount gets released after 4-5 days. I think first two days it takes care of pretty much most of the degassing process.