Which espresso machine to buy. Help please

Waxen

Nov 17, 2006
Visit site
Just got back from 2 weeks in Portugal and got hooked on espresso (every cafe there sure knows how to make a good shot of espresso). When I was there my cousin showed me his personal espresso machine which uses capsules and it was very tasty. Machine name was Krups.
Now coming back to Canada I tried to find that same Krups machine but no luck as its not sold in Canada. But I did find a machine that uses the same capsule system and the machine looks exactly the same named Nespresso (ranges from $200 to $350). Any one have experience with this machine and if its worth it.

thanks

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well I'll start off by saying that I've never used pod or capsule machines and I'm giving you my opinion based on what others have said.

With pods or capsules you're not getting the same freshness that you get from just ground beans. You're also limited in selection compared to fresh roasted beans.

If you want convenience, consistency, very little mess, etc. then I'd say go for capsules. But if you want the best shots available at home then go fo a semi-auto machine and a good grinder. Sure there's a huge learning curve to obtain what you're looking for, but IMO it's worth the time and effort.

I personally don't think Krups makes anything great. Good, but maybe not as good as pod/capsule machines such as what's being advertised on top of this page offered by Illy. Maybe others will chime in on this subject. Later!

Waxen

Nov 17, 2006
Visit site
I was looking at the Dolce Gusto offered by Krups which looks interesting but from what I can find its not offered in Canada and I can't buy it from the states and get it shipped here.
I have read reviews on the Nespresso C90 and C100 and seems like it a nice little machine for $200. If I can't get the Dolce Gusto i might try the Nespresso C100.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The Nepresso machines have been around a long time, but I don't know much about them. Have read alot of coffee books and some info was regarding capsules, but after having a good semi-auto and grinder that's the way to go for the best results. Unless you're a real die hard and like doing it the manual way, levers......

Are you planning on drinking straight shots? Or using milk, etc.? Later!

IndianaTim

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Nespresso

Well, I was pretty skeptical of Nespresso machines but I recently found myself in Manhattan at a Nespresso café. It's not the sort of place I would normally visit, but one of our clients was hosting a party there. I tried an espresso and was fairly impressed. It had decent flavor and a nice crema. I imagine the coffee was pretty fresh, given the location. I don't for a minute imagine I could get fresh pods here in the Hoosier state.

I wouldn't trade my trusty Expobar for one, but if I lived in NYC and could supply myself with fresh pods, I'd definitely consider one for the office.

Tim

I have had the pleasure of doing consulting work with Nestle in the past, and have had a good chance to play around with their Nespresso line of machines and coffee. Actually 2008 the Nespresso line had sales of over US$30 billion... so pretty impressive. The Nespresso range started in the 80's and has evolved since then. The Capsule system obviously is designed to keep machine and coffee product tied together. By this I mean LaCimbali sells a traditional machine or a pod machine- any coffee can be used in it. Nespresso capsules are quit unique, and while they could be copied I do not think any other roaster has done so yet.

They have a solid range of coffees- 12 I think in total- that can be used with the machine. Some are more suited for espresso, some for latte or for cappuccino.

Is the coffee as good as you would get from a solid home machine, with a decent grinder and a trained home barista? No, for sure. However Nestle has focused on selling these machines at a very reasonable price, they require no expertise to use and produce a consistant coffee. They also have developed a cult following, much like the Illy and Lavazza cups.

Waxen

Nov 17, 2006
Visit site
So I ended up buying the Nespresso C100 about 2 weeks ago. So far i have not been disappointed. The espresso comes out with crema (which i was never able to do with my previous machines) and the taste is great.

I recommend it.

skrinkaman

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote:e8ce513f66=\"Waxen\"]Just got back from 2 weeks in Portugal and got hooked on espresso (every cafe there sure knows how to make a good shot of espresso). When I was there my cousin showed me his personal espresso machine which uses capsules and it was very tasty. Machine name was Krups.
Now coming back to Canada I tried to find that same Krups machine but no luck as its not sold in Canada. But I did find a machine that uses the same capsule system and the machine looks exactly the same named Nespresso (ranges from $200 to $350). Any one have experience with this machine and if its worth it.

thanks[/quote:e8ce513f66]

Hay how are you. I just got a display modal at Walmart \"Duraban\" for $9.00. It is awesome. Got steamer on it and everything. Normal retail for about $30.00. I think there not making it any more, They do have a Mr Coffee model for arround $40.00.

itpreview

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I recommend Krups XP1500 Coffee and Espresso Combination Machine.
Beautifully designed with a small footprint and simple-to-use controls, this coffee and espresso combination unit provides an array of convenient features. The coffeemaker side of the machine quickly brews up to 10 cups of great-tasting coffee. The coffeemaker''s water-level indicator clearly shows how much water is in the tank, while its swing-out filter holder makes it easy to add coffee grounds. For added convenience, removing the carafe from its warming plate mid brew pauses the brewing process to allow for a quick pour. Other handy extras include an illuminated on/off switch, a handy coffee scoop, and a nonstick warming tray that keeps coffee hot for hours. The other side of the unit functions as an espresso/cappuccino machine with a four-bar steam system that makes espresso, cappuccino, and lattes quickly and easily. Its glass carafe with a convenient handle holds up to 4 cups of freshly made espresso, while the convenient steam nozzle easily produces rich, creamy froth. In addition, the espresso machine''s removable drip tray with a stainless-steel grid is designed for quick cleanup. The 900-watt coffee and espresso combination unit measures 14-3/4 by 12-1/4 by 13-1/2 inches and carries a one-year limited warranty.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
I have a DeLonghi combo that I am really disappointed in. This is the second one under the warranty. They leak water. I had one repaired and it still leaked so they sent me another one and now it is leaking also. I really like the coffee but I am tired of messing around with the leaking. I think it is a design problem with the clamps on the water path.