White centre crack of bean V's Brown

Ausroast

Jul 13, 2005
Australia
Visit site
Hi

Equipment and profile: I roast coffee in Australia on a Turkish 9kg roaster (due to price of roasters). A roast time of 15mins, very well formed chestnut coloured beans just stopped as the second crack begins, no oil spots.

What I am wondering is the centre line or crack of the bean is white, this happens on multiple types of beans eg. cuban, colombian, kenyan etc, should it be brown, if so any suggestions to change the roast to allow this and does a white compared to brown centre make a difference to the taste when used through an Espresso machine.

Thanks

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Ausroast:

In general terms if you find that if the cord of the bean is white that's usually a sign of under roasted bean, which will produce a more bitter taste. Sometimes what happens is your air and flame adjustment may be out of whack. If flame is to high and air flow is too high, then the outside is roasting too fast, and the inside is cooking slower. So learn to get that into balance. It will also depend on the type of roaster your have. I'm speaking from a drum roaster point of view.

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Ausroast said:
Hi

Equipment and profile: I roast coffee in Australia on a Turkish 9kg roaster (due to price of roasters). A roast time of 15mins, very well formed chestnut coloured beans just stopped as the second crack begins, no oil spots.

What I am wondering is the centre line or crack of the bean is white, this happens on multiple types of beans eg. cuban, colombian, kenyan etc, should it be brown, if so any suggestions to change the roast to allow this and does a white compared to brown centre make a difference to the taste when used through an Espresso machine.

Thanks

Try roasting it alittle longer.