White Coffee Latte

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
Has anyone heard of/tried/made/sold these?

According to "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee & Tea", it is as follows:

"This is a drink that's new to many cafes, but you still may come across it. White coffee is coffee that's been underroasted and is often prepared as espresso. It has a peanutlike taste, which is why lattes almost always come with your choice of flavor syrups, so you have more activity in your mouth when you drink it. A white coffee latte has more caffeine than a regular latte because less caffeine has been burned off during roasting."

MontanaMama

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I talked to my roaster about this and this is what he told me:

White coffee is infact an under roasted bean.

Because it's under roasted, the roasting process doesn't burn off any left over pesticides, etc. that may have been left on the bean.

Because it's under roasted, it's absolute hell on your machine and your machine would need to be cleaned (due to the extra oils) after every brew of this type coffee.

It is a myth that white coffee has more caffeine than traditionally roasted beans.

It's a fad bean/roast that isn't worth the money or the trouble.

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
So do you think it would be worth trying at home? I'm just using a modified popcorn popper for roasting until I can afford something decent, and I was thinking about trying it. However, I'm not too interested in drinking pesticides... any more info on the subject?

Travelfunlearn

Oct 15, 2017
Earth
Visit site
Unless you do not like the flavor of coffee and have discovered and love white coffee. Different roasters have different views.
All staples in our diets began as "fads". I will be glad when I can go anywhere and order white coffee.
As far as machines go, having a dedicated machine or spout for white coffee only, keeps the machine from needing cleaning after each brew. As far as pesticides, they don't "burn off". Pesticides are chemicals....