Why does Lime Torani curdle in steamed milk?

Bean007

Feb 8, 2005
Cortland, OH
Visit site
We noticed that our lime Torani syrup curdles the steamed milk and leaves a fairly unpleasant thick cap on the surface. Rasberry has less of an effect but still unpleasant to look at and drink. They work great in Italian sodas though.

Does anyone know of other flavors that will do this, I want to warn my baristas of this problem before a customer requests it.

Does anyone know why this happens and perhaps have a remedy? Someone suggested that the milk was too hot but we did it at 120 degrees with the same result.

Bean007

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
steaming syrups?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't steam my syrups.....I use Routon 1883's but my guess is there is no difference between them in Tourani.

We pour our shots into the cup before the milk, stir into the espresso shot and then pour steamed milk over the top....depending on the drink. We don't steam milk with a syrup in it?

Like I said...maybe I'm the one doing something wrong - hope you get more answers here....

Hulkster

Jun 16, 2005
Visit site
umm...could it be that they contain citric acid?

Nice guess!

Citric acid is one component of cheese-making...it aids in the transition from liquid to solid. So you are 100% correct. The heat (as in most chemical reactions) speeds up the process. Many fruit flavors like lemon, lime or raspberry will curdle the milk...nothing you can do about it that I know of. I'd just tell people not to get it and also ask them why it is that they want hot lime-flavored milk :)

Celement there is a big difference, Routin 1883 uses natural flavoring vs. Torani, which uses artificial flavoring

Here CCafe, you should read this.

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question ... 9EC5880000

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with natural flavoring...just that it's not REALLY any different, except for it not being well regulated. Here's something else you also may want to know.

A natural flavor is not necessarily more healthful or purer than an artificial one. When almond flavor -- benzaldehyde -- is derived from natural sources, such as peach and apricot pits, it contains traces of hydrogen cyanide, a deadly poison. Benzaldehyde derived by mixing oil of clove and amyl acetate does not contain any cyanide. Nevertheless, it is legally considered an artificial flavor and sells at a much lower price. Natural and artificial flavors are now manufactured at the same chemical plants, places that few people would associate with Mother Nature.

The above was from the book "Fast Food Nation" (wich I strongly urge everyone to read) and his source is documented, if you're doubting its truth. I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm sure there's not even CLOSE to a dangerous amount of cyanide in the syrups or anything. It's just some marketing trickery to be aware of.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I think this stuff is important to know. Hope I helped.

javaluva

May 15, 2005
USA
Visit site
I agree that you shouldn't steam your flavor shots, BUT we do have customers that want cherry steamers. I can assure you that almost all fruit flavors curdle, but 1. try using skim milk, AND 2. put your fruit flavors in your milk then steam. I haven't ever had Routin 1883, so I can't comment. I love torani, by far it's the only syrup I have tasted that didn't taste buggy, or have some nasty aftertaste.-just my opinion.

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
I have found, at least in Italian creme sodas, if you cut the citric syrup with a tiny bit of vanilla syrup, there is no curdling. However, I also know that while it is not visually appealing, it still tastes okay. Much like an Irish Car Bomb that sat too long :wink:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I can agree with that. One of my biggest service calls is the steam nozzle tips are plugged. Always hear the same old story of how they clean it and can't understand why it still plugs. Come to find out that they steam their syrup with the milk. Also see the same problem with people who use the steam arm to stir coco products.

ElPugDiablo

CCafe said:
I can agree with that. One of my biggest service calls is the steam nozzle tips are plugged. Always hear the same old story of how they clean it and can't understand why it still plugs. Come to find out that they steam their syrup with the milk. Also see the same problem with people who use the steam arm to stir coco products.

They call you for that?! Espresso techs must love sloppy operators, it's like money in the bank.

Anyone heard of really acidic Kenya can curdle milk too? I heard that from an expert in the industry, but have not witness that myself.