Why does my coffee always taste so bad?

DylanAsdale

May 16, 2009
Visit site
Okay, first of all, I will list all the stuff I use to make my coffee:

1. Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200 coffee maker
2. Folger's Columbian Blend (Ground)
3. I usually put 1/3 cup, and then a half of the 1/3 cup of coffee grounds for a whole pot (up to the 10 line)
4. The water you put in the blue jugs and refill at Wal-Mart, etc. (I doubt the water is the problem)
5. Natural Brew #4 unbleached coffee filters
6. I sometimes add a pinch of salt to the grounds

Okay, the fact that I should not be using ground coffee (especially something as overrated as Folgers) is duly noted. I am planning on getting a old-fashioned hand-crank coffee grinder in the future, along with a french press.

All things considered, it seems I am doing something wrong. I am not exactly sure what it is, but my coffee just seems to always taste off.

And I mean, all things considered. I know using ground coffee is a big no-no, but until I get a grinder, it seems that there has to be some way to enhance the flavor of coffee.

I have tried adding baking cocoa, to maybe lessen the sour/tangy twinge to it.

It just seems I am not doing something right.

What temperature water should I use? Should I heat it up before I put it in the water reservoir?

How much coffee should I use? Etc.

The best coffee I have ever had is, believe it or not, the coffee at my local gas station, GasAmerica. They have what's called "Bucaramanga Blend" coffee, and they grind it there. I add 1 thing of Irish Cream, and 1 thing of French Vanilla, and 2 packets of Splenda, and it's the best tasting coffee ever. It has a sort of sweet, leafy, nutty sort of taste to it that I love, and has NO hint of fruity/sourness to it.

Any help...?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Sat May 16, 2009 4:00 am
DylanAsdale said:
What could I do (like add to, etc.) to my coffee to make it taste more nutty and rich? I absolutely hate ANY hint of sourness in coffee, and any amount of salt to my coffee makes me feel nauseous (just the fact that there's table salt in my coffee, I guess), so please no "salt" suggestions.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:11 pm
DylanAsdale said:

3. I usually put 1/3 cup, and then a half of the 1/3 cup of coffee grounds for a whole pot (up to the 10 line)
4. The water you put in the blue jugs and refill at Wal-Mart, etc. (I doubt the water is the problem)

???

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
In all honesty how can you call what you like coffee at all when it's doctored up with all that crap? I know to each his own and I guess a bit of sweetener and a tad bit of cream is OK for some, but if you're having to put all that in any coffee it's slop in the first place, IMO of course.

At work I have people tell me "I like the darker roasted stuff, like Charbux French Roast".... and I say "you mean you actually like charcoal?"...... Then they tell me they like alot of sugar, milk, etc. in it to make it just right. Then I proceed to tell them they have to use all that crap to mask the crappy taste of the actual coffee. Most people don't know what coffee truly tastes like because they never try it straight and unadulterated. Just like straight shots... most think they must have a macchiato, a latte or what have you because that's the only way a shot could actually be good..... in something and never by itself.

A few issues you have. Preground is a no-no, especially something like Folgers. If you must use preground at least buy fresh beans (2 weeks maximum from actual roast date, not use or sell by date) and grind them. At least that is as fresh as you can get for now.

Next issue would be your drip machine. Most home machines don't hit the proper brew temperature and hold it there for the entire time. This can lead to bitterness, but I'd say the preground is your biggest issue. At work we use Cuisinart drip machines, the kind that have the built-in reservoir. Not my choice as they had them when I started there. I'd like to have Fetco or Bunn units and airpots, but those are a little pricey. The Cusinart machines do OK and freshly ground fresh beans (days old) makes all the difference in them, but I know the brew temp. is holding things back somewhat. Later!

DylanAsdale

May 16, 2009
Visit site
caffe biscotto said:
Sat May 16, 2009 4:00 am
DylanAsdale said:
What could I do (like add to, etc.) to my coffee to make it taste more nutty and rich? I absolutely hate ANY hint of sourness in coffee, and any amount of salt to my coffee makes me feel nauseous (just the fact that there's table salt in my coffee, I guess), so please no "salt" suggestions.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:11 pm
DylanAsdale said:

???
Before, I was adding salt to the cup of coffee directly, so much that it was making it taste salty. I found that adding just a tiny amount of salt to the GROUNDS, not even in the pot, let alone the cup, that it does curb the bitterness, which is also something I do not like when it comes to coffee.

The thought of table salt in my coffee doesn't really seem that weird now that I realize how little you need to use to curb the bitterness.

DylanAsdale

May 16, 2009
Visit site
shadow745 said:
In all honesty how can you call what you like coffee at all when it's doctored up with all that crap? I know to each his own and I guess a bit of sweetener and a tad bit of cream is OK for some, but if you're having to put all that in any coffee it's slop in the first place, IMO of course.
I don't always "add" things in my coffee, by the way.

2 packets of Splenda and 2 creamers in a 20 ounce cup of very good coffee is not "slop". I like the coffee by itself as well, but sometimes the little bit of cream and Splenda tastes good in it.

20 ounce machine-dispensed "cappuccino" is slop.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
DylanAsdale said:
The best coffee I have ever had is, believe it or not, the coffee at my local gas station, GasAmerica. They have what's called "Bucaramanga Blend" coffee, and they grind it there. I add 1 thing of Irish Cream, and 1 thing of French Vanilla, and 2 packets of Splenda, and it's the best tasting coffee ever. It has a sort of sweet, leafy, nutty sort of taste to it that I love, and has NO hint of fruity/sourness to it.

You may have answered your own question.

Why not buy the coffee that your gas station uses?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
To be honest if you use fresh beans, grind properly for your preferred brewing method and use decent equipment you shouldn't have any bitterness to cover up. Even properly prepared espresso should have no noticeable bitterness. Some confuse natural acidity in coffee as bitterness as well.

You are the one who stated that after you add the Splenda and flavored creamers you end up with the best tasting coffee ever. That simply is falsifying coffee that is inadequate to begin with. No wonder it has a nutty, sweet, leafy taste.... it's not from the bean, but the stuff you put in it.

Dude, we're just trying to help here. Don't get offended as we all start somewhere and we usually start with crap and work our way up once we learn more.

BTW, adding salt can minimize acidity in things like sodas, etc. but never heard of anybody using it in coffee. If so then something is really wrong with your brew. Later!

DylanAsdale

May 16, 2009
Visit site
shadow745 said:
To be honest if you use fresh beans, grind properly for your preferred brewing method and use decent equipment you shouldn't have any bitterness to cover up. Even properly prepared espresso should have no noticeable bitterness. Some confuse natural acidity in coffee as bitterness as well.

You are the one who stated that after you add the Splenda and flavored creamers you end up with the best tasting coffee ever. That simply is falsifying coffee that is inadequate to begin with. No wonder it has a nutty, sweet, leafy taste.... it's not from the bean, but the stuff you put in it.

Dude, we're just trying to help here. Don't get offended as we all start somewhere and we usually start with crap and work our way up once we learn more.

BTW, adding salt can minimize acidity in things like sodas, etc. but never heard of anybody using it in coffee. If so then something is really wrong with your brew. Later!
Oh, no offense taken! I was just simply addressing your points. No worries :)

I mean, I don't know where to actually buy the coffee they have at the gas station. I guess I could just ask someone who to talk to about where/who they buy their coffee from, because it is good by itself as well. I'm sure there's better out there. But its the best-tasting "black" coffee I've had so far.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
So Dylan, yes you can ask them at the gas station if they sell their coffee by the pound.

I have a suggestion... if you get the chance some day, I think you would like coffees that are of African origin, like Kenyan or Ethiopian coffees. These are smooth, low acid coffees, with great flavor, so you won't even need to add the salt. :)

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
looks like the gas station stuff would hit the spot...but im still trying to get over the salt bit.
what i have seen 1 person do before, and im not sure if any of you would ever do it was adding a spoonful of marmite to black drip.

i reckon its salty as well as the yeasty bits in the coffee that would pretty much leave me getting sick...but wont this be just another thing that people heard from someone else and then reckoned they must try it...something an old fart somewhere would come up with.

when i started roasting, my grandfather told me how they use to roast coffee in some or other animal fat when he was a boy...now im pretty sure this happened during the years of the depression but this idea has stuck with him...and i dont know about anyone else who has tried it...but i reckon its stories like these where people start with the salty missions.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Mr. Biscotto..... can't agree on the Kenyan stuff being low in acidity. Well, at least not the stuff I cupped awhile back. It was super light in body and very acidic, was Kenya AA. I do not know much about it as I'm just starting to really learn coffees and you can never learn/know too much. BUT have had alot of experience recently with Ethiopia's Sidamo and can honestly say it's the absolute best bean I've ever tried for drip. Didn't make good shots as it was roasted too dark for my taste, but for drip it was heaven. Nice bodied with fruity/winey notes like no other and very floral if that makes sense.

Cindy, have read of people actually frying beans instead of roasting them and maybe this was done with animal fat of some sort to add to the frying aspect. They claim it works well, but of course adds alot of unhealthy calories and who knows what else. Later!

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Shadow, thanks for correcting me on the acidity of the African origin coffees. They just don't strike me as acidic. Perhaps my perception of acidity hasn't matured in the realm of coffee. I really look forward to visiting my local roaster these days, as they usually have Ethiopian Yirgacheffe on the table for sampling. Talk about delicious.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Mr. Biscotto, I can surely say I'm not correcting you in any way. When I was invited to attend a coffee college course by our roaster he put it best by saying that when we cupped different coffees there is no right or wrong, just different tastes for different palates. I remember the Kenyan as being very bright and acidic, but that's just my taste. The Ethiopian on the other hand was much bolder and had no noticeable acidity at all to me. Later!