Why does my coffee always taste so bad?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I still can't get over the salt thing and this was brought up in this forum before. I could almost say to each their own.

I'd just assume add a squeeze of lime to my coffee after the salt, lol. Perhaps a little umbrella too.

Barkybear

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Folger's Coffee Is The Best!!!

I don't understand why so many people have so many problems brewing a decent cup of coffee?? I have a Bunn Commercial Coffee brewer and I get Perfect coffee everyday , everymorning, all day long!! I have tried MANY, MANY other brands and I tll you I always come back to Folger's because it is the only coffee with no bitter taste, i love it, have for years!!! Fresh cold water, and a fresh clean filter and folgers coffee...never let me down!!!!

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
I have to wade in here. Being a coffee roaster, I don't get the Folgers thing. But then again, I don't know why anyone would drink Budweiser, either.

If you're looking for quality fresh-roasted coffee that isn't bitter, some solid Brazil, taken to a simple medium roast should do the trick. The aroma is amazing and the coffee is incredibly smooth. Some folks would call it boring, but if you're going to pour flavored cream into it, then it will be a good vehicle for that. Just make sure the coffee isn't roasted too dark, or it will compete (unfavorably) with the flavor.

Just my 2 cents.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
This has been one of the most interesting postings I've read. Who would have thought that from the genesis, where we were introduced to a coffee concoction with salt, cocoa, Irish Cream flavor, French Vanilla flavor, and Splenda in supposedly a Colombian Bucamaranga (which is such a nice, balanced coffee with plenty of flavor, to drink without adding anything), that we'd then go to . . .

Charbux -- by the way Shadow, I like that. Funny I've never heard it before but it certainly hits the nail on the head!
Kenya AA -- to me is very acidic. The Lovely and Talented Roast Mistress concurs. I do not like this coffee as a single origin (but then I don't like Kona, and I think that is acidic too) but the fragrance of a bin full of roasted beans when you lift the lid is out of this world!
Ethiopian Sidamo -- which I just bought a bag of (because the boat with my Yiracheffe left port 1-1/2 months late, very nice.
Ethiopain Yirgacheffe -- nicer, the Lovely and Talented Roast Mistress' favorite and a very good seller. If you aren't drinking the Ethiopians you're missing out.
Folgers -- yes, I, dare I say it, have had a couple good cups of Folgers, but years ago. Like decades. I can't drink it anymore.
Brazil -- I agree, it is boring. A good base but boring. We recently dropped Brazil from our 'all day blend' and put in Buca. Not a lot more money per kilo but certainly a lot more taste. In a lot of taste tests we have conducted it worked out to 9 out of 10 people preferring the ADB with the Buca. And it isn't an "um, yeah, I like that one better" it is more like a "wow, that's a great cup of coffee!"

Well that's it, I couldn't keep myself from commenting on this thread. I'll be interested to see where it meanders to.

gallagher_donal

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
What a shit answer, the person needs advice, not condescending judgmental crap..... so what if this person wants their coffee a certain way you dont agree with, advice is what this person wanted, advice not bullcrap

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
IMBHO anybody asking for advice should take whatever is said with a grain of salt... if they don't like the opinions given then they shouldn't ask for advice to begin with. Maybe YOU should read more and speak/type less. Nobody is right or wrong, but simply offering their opinion(s) based on a lot of experience over many years.

Gmbaltrusitis

Oct 22, 2013
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Gallagher, not necessarily a shit answer. Taste is all relative to each and every individual. I drink my coffee and espresso black with nothing, this allows me to taste the coffee in it's purest form. Do I enjoy a Pumkin Spiced Latte from CHARBUX?? Hell yea, but it is not my everyday drink. Getting fresh beans and grinding them right before you brew makes an incredible difference. It wasn't
until I tried it did I believe it. Salt in coffee is interesting, perhaps it is done for the reason that you recharge a Rancilio water filter with salt. No idea otherwise. The members of this forum run the gambit from being absolute purists with regards to their coffee to others who just truly enjoy a good cup of coffee and have experienced the difference in various methods of brewing and roasts as well as beans from around the world. So much like a Chinese Buffet for dinner, take what you want and leave the rest.

Greg

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "gallagher_donal"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Here on the Coffee Forums, we try to be respectful, polite, and reasonably sane when we communicate with each other.

I hope you will play nice from now on.

Rose
(Forum Moderator)

I went to a whiskey tasting evening a couple years ago. The guy leading it said as long as you enjoy the taste mix your whiskey as you please. One guy drinks Johnny Walker Black and Creme Soda. I laughed at him. I'd never mix Johnny Black with anything but a touch of water.
If I mix whiskey, it will be a Bourbon and Coke.
Last night my Fiance' had a long day and had a drink. She offered me one and told me it was Jack Daniels and Coke - I don't have Jack in the house. She insisted the black one. It was Johnny black and coke. I didn't tell her off but I looked at this drink and thought what a waste. Boy was I wrong. It was delicious!
The long and the short of it is if you like it drink it. Don't care what society says. End of the day do what makes you feel good.

I'm drinking a grind from Rwanda at the moment. I haven't bought a grinder and after a week there is a noticeable difference. I can't wait to get my own grinder.
In the morning I have it with milk and a touch of sugar and after work I have it black while I chill. Both I use the pour over method.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Snowbeast

I enjoyed reading your post.

I often wonder how people come up with the food or beverage combinations that they create. The combination of curiosity, trial, and tweaking often results in a new discovery. It sounds like your Fiance' came up with a winning combination, and it's great that you held back and didn't give her a hard time about it.

By the way, when you eventually buy a grinder, you'll notice a big difference in the taste of your coffee.

Rose

champagnesyrup

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay, first of all, I will list all the stuff I use to make my coffee:

1. Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200 coffee maker
2. Folger's Columbian Blend (Ground)
3. I usually put 1/3 cup, and then a half of the 1/3 cup of coffee grounds for a whole pot (up to the 10 line)
4. The water you put in the blue jugs and refill at Wal-Mart, etc. (I doubt the water is the problem)
5. Natural Brew #4 unbleached coffee filters
6. I sometimes add a pinch of salt to the grounds

Okay, the fact that I should not be using ground coffee (especially something as overrated as Folgers) is duly noted. I am planning on getting a old-fashioned hand-crank coffee grinder in the future, along with a french press.

All things considered, it seems I am doing something wrong. I am not exactly sure what it is, but my coffee just seems to always taste off.

And I mean, all things considered. I know using ground coffee is a big no-no, but until I get a grinder, it seems that there has to be some way to enhance the flavor of coffee.

I have tried adding baking cocoa, to maybe lessen the sour/tangy twinge to it.

It just seems I am not doing something right.

What temperature water should I use? Should I heat it up before I put it in the water reservoir?

How much coffee should I use? Etc.

The best coffee I have ever had is, believe it or not, the coffee at my local gas station, GasAmerica. They have what's called "Bucaramanga Blend" coffee, and they grind it there. I add 1 thing of Irish Cream, and 1 thing of French Vanilla, and 2 packets of Splenda, and it's the best tasting coffee ever. It has a sort of sweet, leafy, nutty sort of taste to it that I love, and has NO hint of fruity/sourness to it.

Any help...?

Stick with coffee, sugar and cream. Classic blend is always the best. :coffee:

Hi Snowbeast

I enjoyed reading your post.

I often wonder how people come up with the food or beverage combinations that they create. The combination of curiosity, trial, and tweaking often results in a new discovery. It sounds like your Fiance' came up with a winning combination, and it's great that you held back and didn't give her a hard time about it.

By the way, when you eventually buy a grinder, you'll notice a big difference in the taste of your coffee.

Rose

Hi rose,

I'm looking at a hand grinder at the moment. It has burrs and is in my price range.

I am fortunate to be able to make quick associations so pairing is easier if I write it down whilst eating or drinking.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk