Why Does The Crowd Prefer Dark Roasted Beans? Any Tips On Optimizing The Roasting Process?

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
This is an interesting and educational thread, in that, at least two very experienced roasters/consumers have made the point that taste preference is an individual thing, it evolves with thoughtful tasting and there are a number of variables beyond roast. I tend to prefer a full city to a full city + roast depending on the bean variety. But one of the things I like most about coffee is the process of experimenting to find a great cup for you. I'm currently trying a new PNG bean and started with the full city, will next try the full city+ and may end up blending the two. One of my favorites with another origin is a 50/50 blend of the two roasts. Like food or wine, experiencing different tastes is a big part of the enjoyment for me. Of course, if you're running a coffee business that's a whole different problem and I guess what the "crowd" thinks matters.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Problem with life in general is we are all expected to follow standards to a point and I simply refuse. I take my own approach with roasting, espresso, you name it and not disappointed or 2nd guessing anything I do in life.
I quite agree, and when making coffee for me, I do what the xxxx i want.

But the original poster was talking about a business, how to sell to "the crowd" of US coffee consumers. And there one has to be careful. No the customer is not always right, but you ignore the customers preferences at your own peril.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I do pour overs, almost exclusively. My experience is that I like a medium light roast. When I get a dark roast coffee, I grind it a little coarser and use more of it per measure of water. Works for me.

There is a great explanation of this here. But again, everyone should do what they want.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Actually went that route as well with a mobile setup yrs ago. I dialed the espresso/drip coffee in to suit me and sold it with no problem with total customer 'approval'... I wasn't content with pushing just what customers expected if I wasn't 100% satisfied with it involving that much time/effort. Over time actually converted quite a few to using much less sugar, milk, etc. as those additives weren't needed to mask what they were used to consuming.

To minimize waste, keep things more sanitary we concocted whatever was ordered and did gladly create whatever was ordered. Will never forget a handful of regulars that required so much sugar that we stopped opening packets and just weighed it on a gram scale. One in particular wanted/expected over 1 oz. of sugar in his 12 oz cup of drip... syrup sums it up, but that's how he rolled and is what it is...