Why I Quit Caffeine

Quite Caffeine Now

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Why did I quit caffeine? One very simply reason: I did not want caffeine (or any substance) to have control over my body.

I was an avid Diet Coke drinker. I'd drink more than 6 or so a day. Yes, six. That can't be healthy.

Then, I needed more...then more...then more.. Eventually a 5-hour energy had no effect on me. But I still needed to consume caffeine to function. I wanted to control my body.

I actually quit caffeine several years ago, mostly because my church was doing a "Daniel Fast" (only natural fruits and veggies for a month). This is when I first noticed the terrible withdrawal symptoms. The first day after I quit, I literally had to leave work early. I couldn't concentrate. I couldn't think. My head hurt. I even threw up. Sorry for too much info (TMI as my Mom calls it), but it was awful.
Like most habits you try and break, caffeine came back quickly after I quit.

I started reading Tim Ferris's new book, The Four Hour Body, I started becoming a health freak. I changed the way I eat, I changed my workout schedule, it changed the way I functioned.

I immediately lost 20 pounds in the first two months. Now, I realize I'm selling a product to help you quit caffeine, but you need to go buy this book. I'll still be here.
After my body was looking good and I was feeling great, I realized I needed to take care of one last thing: my caffeine addiction. Tim (as if we're good friends) doesn't say a whole lot about caffeine directly, he says you should consume no more than 16 oz of aspartame a day. I was consuming 5 times that.
So, I quit caffeine again.

I quit "kinda cold turkey" - meaning, I'd go as long as I could without caffeine, and I'd take caffeine (no Diet Cokes, only Green Tea for me). It took me about two weeks before I could be caffeine free, without withdrawals.

Ever since I've quit, I've felt better, slept better. But even better: I lost 5 pounds immediately. I also have more control over my body. Wouldn't you like to all of that?

Check out my new product, Quit Caffeine Now, to help you quit...now! :)

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'll come play under your bridge

1. What was your purpose of making a "quit caffeine" post on coffee forums (besides plugging your product)?
2. There are people here that drink coffee to start their day. There is also a large number of enthusiasts here that drink coffee for the flavor and experience.
3. It sounds like you might have a addictive personality. Please be careful not to get hooked on the new "thing."
4. I did enjoy your narrative and I thought it was well written. However, no points for a uncreative name and a lame first post (SPAM).

Best of luck with your sales and new diet

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I wasn't going to say anything... but.. well, you know..

If aspertame was a natural food product, we could talk, but since it comes from a lab, and you drank it for how long(?) without thinking about that, points towards some dietary problems. Now, your message about stopping the consumption of caffeine points towards a swing in the pendulum in the other direction. You allowed the substance called caffeine to have control over your body, while some laboratory was making a chemical you consumed with blind trust and a denial that nature can provide all you need in regards to nutrition. The zealous fragmented nature of your post makes it sound like you do indeed have an addictive personality. That isn't necessarily a bad thing if you use it and apply it so that it works in your favor. Eating healthy, getting exercise and losing weight (or maintaining a healthy weight) all go hand in hand. The ceasing of the intake of caffeine is not a part of that caloric balance. Some of the fittest athletes on the planet have long used caffeine - pro bicycles racers use (or use to use) a 50/50 mix of Coke and water for simple carbs, hydration, and a caffeine boost. Excedrin has caffeine in it and it works quite well to relieve headaches; in some cases even migraines.

There are quite a number of things that when used in moderation can be helpful; when abused they can be dangerous. I feel the biggest value of your post it that you have found something that works for you. But if you assume that the world wants to hear about it or that you health plan would work for everyone, then you have become a zealot. That just makes most everyone reading it shut down and go read somewhere else.

Bottom line, you have to listen to your own body and pay attention to what it is saying.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Well, to start with ... consuming 16 oz. (a pound) of aspartame a day is just nuts. Who the he*l does that? And you say you consumed 5 lbs. a day? What? WHAT WHAT???

Consuming a pound of sugar a day ... yup, I can see some people doing that. We've all seen them, they are called morbidly obese. Read the new bestseller if you happen to have that issue, it's called "How I went from Morbidly Obese to Grossly Obese in just 2 weeks!"

Getting serious here, caffeine is good for you in moderation. It enhances brain function and elimination of metabolic wastes. It is a diuretic and a laxative.

The key is moderation, like everything else. Too much of anything is bad. Too much water intake can mess up the electrolyte levels in your blood system and affect brain activity. Too much vitamin C will give you diarrhea. Too much breathing of air in California will give you cancer of the lungs ...

Len

Last edited:

dadan

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Protect your brain with Coffee

Apparently, coffee is not always bad for the body. Research on the health effects of coffee are quite a lot. The most recent mention, the coffee could protect your brain from the risk of cancer.
Benefits extraordinary coffee was revealed after the researchers followed the health of 500,000 people of Europe for eight years. Those who drank one and a half cups of coffee a day had a risk of brain cancer is 34 percent lower.
Many people who do not know that coffee is actually rich in ....
antioxidants. As is known, has many facts that show the benefits of antioxidants for prevention of disease.
Although the results of these studies is enough to make coffee lovers a little relieved, but it should be noted that this type of brain cancer could be prevented by relatively rare coffee.
Previously, the results showed coffee had a beneficial prevention of several diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer's. Benefits other copies you may have often felt, that is more vibrant and improve concentration

phughes

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Quitting caffeine, as for anything you have done or taken regularly for a considerably long period of time must be done gradually. If you drink coffee for 3 times a day, maybe you can start by trimming it down to two or maybe 1 full shot and a decaf on the side.

Quitting instantly may cause withdrawal and that could be even worse news than staying on track your drinking habit.

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
I second that PHughes...I tried cold turkey quitting 5 years ago (off of a 10 cups a day regimen), and I thought I was dying. Literally. I had to return to caffeine -- I love the taste of coffee -- but I ratcheted it down to 2 cups/day. I've drank that amount since trying to quit, and I prefer the 2 cups to a life without coffee. :)