Why is it that I need less Foldgers Drip (classic roast) coffee to brew a pot than my roasted full city roast?

smitrock63

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I have to use almost twice as much of grounds of my roasted coffee (or another roaster I buy from) to get the same thickness of brewed coffee than the Foldgers Classic Roast coffee. If you look at the grind size, the "Foldgers" even seems to be larger in particle size?

I'm stumped.

smitrock63

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Wow. That shouldn't be the case. I use about 25% less than I would say of something like Folgers.
Agree. But that's what it is. Strange to me. Recently I started roasting our own coffee for our 3 coffee shop locations and it doesn't matter whether or not it's my beans or beans from a professional roaster I use to buy from - either way it's the same. Coffee is not as strong when using same amount of ground. The grinder I'm using is a bunn select and I'm using the most coarse setting there is (coarse grind).

sam_l

Apr 15, 2023
Visit site
Agree. But that's what it is. Strange to me. Recently I started roasting our own coffee for our 3 coffee shop locations and it doesn't matter whether or not it's my beans or beans from a professional roaster I use to buy from - either way it's the same. Coffee is not as strong when using same amount of ground. The grinder I'm using is a bunn select and I'm using the most coarse setting there is (coarse grind).
In my experience, any coffee from a professional roaster is roasted much lighter than any "mainstream" commodity brand, like Starbucks or Folgers. Also, in my experience, lighter roasts call for a much smaller grind than dark roasts do. Dark probably gives you more "body" in the cup, but of course with more roasty flavors and less of the bean's original flavor. So it seems to me that the coarsest grind is way too coarse, and I would expect weak results from that.

Also, I wonder if Folgers, if it's pre-ground, has degassed so thoroughly that there's less inhibiting the extraction - this is just me speculating.

Charlie'sCoffee

May 14, 2023
texas
Visit site
I have to use almost twice as much of grounds of my roasted coffee (or another roaster I buy from) to get the same thickness of brewed coffee than the Foldgers Classic Roast coffee. If you look at the grind size, the "Foldgers" even seems to be larger in particle size?

I'm stumped.
Try grinding it less course. it should make a difference