Why would it benefit me to roast in the states instead from the source location in Columbia?

frankK

Dec 14, 2021
New Jersey
Visit site
Looking to distribute in the States and wasn't sure why our coffee shows up raw, is it a freshness issue or a USDA issue?
I am looking to distribute coffee in capsules to local markets in USA.
Thanks!

frankK

Dec 14, 2021
New Jersey
Visit site
I am not sure what you are asking here. What do you mean your coffee shows up raw?
I am interested in importing coffee from Columbia. I notice that most people import the beans and decide to roast and package here, is their a reason for that? Wouldn't be more economical to roast and package in Columbia?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
No. It also comes down to freshness. Green coffee stays fresh longer. Then there is Me being a roaster...I do not trust anyone else to roast my coffee.

Sep 13, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
I am interested in importing coffee from Columbia. I notice that most people import the beans and decide to roast and package here, is their a reason for that? Wouldn't be more economical to roast and package in Columbia?
I think it all comes down to how fresh the coffee is. Shipping coffee from somewhere else may take some time depending on the customs regulations?

I was planning to do the same for my shop, have coffee beans shipped to the US from the Philippines so that I have a unique value prop for my marketing promotions, this is what my email marketing agency suggested as well. but it's been tough since customs in the Philippines are a bit strict when shipping local products outside.