Will a blade grinder do for an average joe?

Ripper

Aug 19, 2005
Visit site
I don't want to shell out big bucks for a burr grinder. I hardley consider myself a coffee purists.

I have been drinking just plain old pre ground coffee for ages but have recently gotten more interested in better tasting coffee. I want to buy some whole beans and grind myself but am thinking about just getting a braun blade grinder.

Does a blade grinder really make that bad of a cup or atleast a better product than the preground stuff i have been drinking

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
A blade grinder is an entry level grinder. Its only purpose is for the masses who just need to grind coffee and really don't care about the outcome. You can find a few cheap burr grinders. Capresso makes a few that run in between $30 to $100.

Burr grinders will give you a consistent grind of decently coarse coffee grounds. Blade grinders are very inconsistent and will often produce dust like coffee grounds, which in turn can plug your filter and slow down or over flow your funnel. Blade grinders will also heat the beans up while grinding and this will cause your beans to loose some flavor.

So you see if you are just starting out new to bean grinding, why not do it right the first time! Plus some of the higher end models even allow you to change your burrs out when they become dull, thus allowing you to get even more use out of it in the long run.

Ripper

Aug 19, 2005
Visit site
i see a couple cheaper ones that get some decent reviews on amazon. any thoughts on these grinders? one is a braun, the other a capresso like u mentioned.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I saw the Braun KMM30 Burr grinder. I have never used one so I don't know about its reliability. But I believe it would be a start for you or try the Capresso.

Other good grinders include Solis, Cuisinart, Gaggia, Rancilio, and Mazzer. Some of these make both commercial and home use machines.

I tend to stay away from the name brand products you can buy in the store like Krups, Kitchen-Aid, and Hamilton Beach ect. I have had no luck and it seems the grinders only last a short while. Other impressions I've had are their designers seem to think you only grind once a day! I want to grind several times a day and different quantities too.

mooch

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
An average joe probably would not be here asking questions. So maybe you are not an average joe.
I started with a blade grinder (braun).
And it was better than buying preground coffee.

I do still enjoy Dunkin Donuts whole bean coffee.
Only I grind it with a burr grinder now.
IT IS BETTER.

bergzy

Aug 23, 2005
The OC, Baby!!!
Visit site
here is a grinder that is reasonably priced and does an excellent job at grinding your beans to whatever grain you need it to be.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... =&cat=&s=1

my wife uses it for her coffee while i *gasp* a keurig one cup brewing method ( i was a purist but now need speed and convenience in my morning out the door).

on days while i am entertaining, i use the grinder for grinding beans to a coarseness used for a french press, to regular drip, to espresso to turkish.

my fav coffee is actually making turkish. it requires a very powerful grinder that will not overheat (burn) the beans in making it into a very fine ground. this grinder does the trick and has been going strong for quite some time. of course, when i am not using the keurig! ;)