will a new grinder prevent this??

powerdog

Mar 30, 2007
Vermont
Visit site
After using a Bunn burr grinder for a couple of years, I''m thinking of replacing it with the KitchenAid Proline grinder.

Big problem with the Bunn is that dark roast beans don''t want to fall into the burr. I have to shake the grinder really hard, or pound the counter with it, to keep the coffee going down. This happens about 5 times per use. If I don''t, the burr just spins and spins w/ no load.

We don''t make espresso...just like really dark vacuum or drip coffee.

Do you think the KA will be an improvement?

Jackson

Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
Visit site
You may need to periodically clean all the coffee oil from the hopper. After grinding darker roasted coffee for even several months, you may have a build up of oil. Depending on how dark and fresh your coffee is and how much you grind, this problem could occur with any grinder.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Agreed; the only benefit to exchanging for a new grinder will be that the new grinder is clean. Clean your Bunn grinder and also replace the burrs periodically - particularly when regularly using oily coffee. I've seen the burrs on some coffee shop grinders that use oily coffees; after a couple of months, a hard resin coats the cutting surfaces and completely destroys particle consistency (hence, ruining your extraction, espresso or otherwise).

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
powerdog said:
After using a Bunn burr grinder for a couple of years, I''m thinking of replacing it with the KitchenAid Proline grinder.

Big problem with the Bunn is that dark roast beans don''t want to fall into the burr. I have to shake the grinder really hard, or pound the counter with it, to keep the coffee going down. This happens about 5 times per use. If I don''t, the burr just spins and spins w/ no load.

We don''t make espresso...just like really dark vacuum or drip coffee.

Do you think the KA will be an improvement?

I agree with the responses. The only help would be that the burrs of a new grinder would be clean.

I've got a Macap M4 stepless. I like light to med roasts for espresso but recently overroasted a batch of Harrar to very dark. After a few grinds the burrs got gummed up to the point no beans were going through. After breaking down the grinder and picking the guck out of the burs and giving them a good cleaning I'm back to grinding the dark roast again but it gums the grinder up pretty quick and is slower to grind than lighter roasts.

Grindz or Uncle Ben's rice would probably help keeping the burrs clean without having to take the grinder apart. You could adjust coarse enough to allow the burr cleaner to grind through and see what comes out.