Wish me luck...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am off to train a friend on how to roast coffee tomorrow. The reason I am asking for luck is that he bought a IR12 and it has been about 16 years since I have touched a Dietrich roaster....maybe I will have another horror story for the other topic when I return..j/k..I hope!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
It went well..thank you! I just wish I could have spent more time roasting. Took me a couple of batches to get used to it again. I do have a question for you all. The guys that set up the roaster said they cemented the pipes at where the pipes connect. They did this per the manufacturer. My question is..how do you break the pipes down if you have to break all that crap off then have to apply it again? Is it not to hard to get the stuff off? The reason I ask is that I break down 2 of my roasters every 2 weeks and my 60 I break down every week. I do not cement my fittings and have never had a problem. Pug as to changes there were not many that I could notice..then again maybe there were. It has been since 94 and the one I was training on was 2002. I didn't like the alarm system. It was their old one and probably should be updated. You can not change the alarm temp settings...Died Rich (sorry love that name!) have always been sturdy well built machines...as to their burners. Yes they give an even distribution of heat on the drum..do they roast better than Ambex, Toper, Probat or San Franciscan? I think they all can produce a nice product as long as you know what you are doing. :wink:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
we did from 8 lbs to 22 lbs...ran a bit quickly for my tastes on the 8 lbs...around 15 minutes. 22 ran around 21 minutes. Big inspection tomorrow...gotta run :wink: