Worlds Best Coffe Bean

Villain

Apr 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if there is an award for the Worlds best Coffee Bean ?

If so ,what is the current award winning bean, and who awards it..?
:oops:

Susanto

May 13, 2006
Visit site
The best Coffee beans what I ever found is the Luwak Coffee Beans.. coz the animal ( civet ) very select the beans... :grin:

ElPugDiablo

Villain said:
Hi,

I was wondering if there is an award for the Worlds best Coffee Bean ?

If so ,what is the current award winning bean, and who awards it..?
:oops:

You can check these two links for auction prices paid for competition winning beans. The competitions are usually judged by an international panel of noted coffee cuppers.

http://coffee.stoneworks.com/auction/
http://cupofexcellence.org/

Len, as Ropert and Egbert say "Two Thumbs Up". The internet is a wonderful invention, it also is a wonderful tool for unscrupulious wheelers and dealers...from Nigerian scam artists to Kopi Luwak "dealers". I am pretty fortunate as I live at orign and have had the first hand chance to check out some of the KL online operatives. All I can say is a number of them are literally full of s***! All I can say is buyer beware and remember. Unfortunatley these days Indonesia is just as famous for scams as it is for coffee :evil: .

Howeer on a plus side, I do have to put in a good word for Susanto who has posted here. He genuinely does seem to have the real Luwak, although it is of the Robusta variety, not Arabica.

Having indeed cupped a lot of Luwak snce ariving on these shores I will close by agreeing once more with you. It is indeed the most expensive coffee available, but give me some of the unique single origin arabicas I can hunt out here...I would take some of those anyday.

Susanto

May 13, 2006
Visit site
HI Mr. Alun

HW R U?
It's long time not see u... :) , how about my KL, do u have any information from CG? I have stock abt 100 kg KL green bean now, that's from collecting at around our plantation. Mosthly is Arabusta variety ( mix bean ).
Thx..

Best regards
susanto

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
I beleive this is currently the best rated coffee in the world.

http://auction.stoneworks.com/grower_pr ... nID=pa2006

If it's the same coffee I read about in another article it's just recently come on the market from a farm that used it in blending. The son wanted to find out why the blend was so good and isolated this bean they were apparently growing on the back 40. Since introducing it as a single origin the auction price has jumped and other farms are getting into growing it as a single origin offering.

Nodezone

Dec 21, 2006
Minneapolis
Visit site
Ah yes, the infamous Panamanian Hacienda Gesha variety no doubt. I thought it was extremely good, but not earth-shaking. Certainly not worth the prices it has been bringing in. That just goes to show how widely individual tastes can vary eh?

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Nodezone said:
Ah yes, the infamous Panamanian Hacienda Gesha variety no doubt. I thought it was extremely good, but not earth-shaking. Certainly not worth the prices it has been bringing in. That just goes to show how widely individual tastes can vary eh?

True enough.

I've got authentic green Jamaican Wallenford Estate beans and authentic Hawaiian Kona (atleast the vendor says their authentic 100% and I trust the vendor) and the quality of the roasted coffee is very high. It roasts even with a red/bronze glow and grinds like butter even at a medium roast but in the cup it's not much better than some single origins that cost 1/2 to 1/4 less.

The Hacienda seems to be the flavour of the past couple years and the reviewers are gushing over it. I haven't tried it but there's a consortium of states based buyers that picked up a lot and I think Sweet Maria's is one of them. Could be worth trying out just to say I did.

Nodezone

Dec 21, 2006
Minneapolis
Visit site
Yes, in fact I got some from Sweet Marias. It was very good, but I think the flavor profile of this bean favors those with highly-trained palates. The normal person drinking it would probably be underwhelmed as it has more of a classic taste profile.

At this point I'd have to say I tend to favor the Ethiopian and Sumatran beans overall but coffee is a lifelong pursuit, so we'll see! :D

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Ditto on the Ethiopian and Sumatran. Harrar was the first green bean I home roasted and you know what it's like when you get a taste of the good stuff for the first time: I've been chasing the experience since. Harrar is still one of my favourites.

Bolivia Carnavi is also very good. It's a sweet jewel in an espresso blend. Papau New Guineau is quite good too but my taste in espresso leans towards sweet and spicy.

Nodezone

Dec 21, 2006
Minneapolis
Visit site
Bolivian? Interesting....if you can, please provide a reference where I can find some. I'd love to give it a try.

The Harrar can be some of the finest, no doubt. I used to laugh at people when they said it reeked of blueberries, thinking that no sane person could ever confuse coffee with blueberries! Man, was I wrong. The first Harrar I ever roasted was alive and swimming with the taste and aroma of blueberries.

In fact, it's been too long since I had some. Excuse me while I go travel the internet..............