Would you pay $15 bucks for a cup of coffee?

ElPugDiablo

While I am not suggesting you to go to Café Artigiano and plunk down 15 bucks for a cup of Esmeralda Especial, which their roaster paid U$ 130 a pound green by the way. I would think you might want to visit Café Artigiano and compare their latte to Starbuck's latte.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I would easily pay $15 for a cup of Esmerelda from the auction lot. That's a friggin' steal!

As Jay Caragay aka Onocoffee (Barista Guild board member, owner of 'Spro in Towson, Maryland) upon returning from the WBC in Japan mentioned in another forum: A very well known place in Tokyo, cafe de l'ambre, owned and run by a Japanese coffee master has single origin selected coffees, house roasted, hand drip (pourover) 50 ml cup for 700-1200 yen... that's about $48 for a regular size cup of coffee. It's not over priced, the fact is Esmerelda at $15 per cup is vastly underpriced.

BUT in order to get those prices your entire shop has to have a quiet air of perfection and excellence throughout. The coffee has to be roasted and prepared in such a way that the best of that coffee is brought out... just because you have Esmerelda doesn't mean you know how to make it shine. But in Artigiano's case, I'd pay the $15, and be thankful for the bargain.

Robyn

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if I'll go the $15 cup, but I will give their lattes a second chance ... apparently they're a few cents cheaper than SB - who'da thought? Thanks for the comments, always appreciated.

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
NO! I simply wouldn't pay that amount of money for a cup of coffee. Excellent coffee is cheap to produce.

I could get hold of a sensational espresso shot in france for 1 Euro, why should I pay more for smething that wont be so much better?

ElPugDiablo

garyscottadamson said:
NO! I simply wouldn't pay that amount of money for a cup of coffee. Excellent coffee is cheap to produce.

I could get hold of a sensational espresso shot in france for 1 Euro, why should I pay more for smething that wont be so much better?
How do you know it won't be so much better if you don't try it? I am not saying you should try it. But you can't compare what you don't know.

Carmine Domenaco

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I would.

Why not?

I've had the Esmeralda coffee from several roasters and roasted samples myself, across the board it has been a good cup of coffee. It is quite unique and if you haven't tried it before I would make a point to sample a cup someday. (It doesn't have to be the auction lot, you might enjoy the non-auction lots from Esmeralda too. They run about $24 for a 1/2 pound or a few bucks a cup)

The nicest coffee I have tried this year from a coffee shop was at Seattle Stumptown. Their Golondrina CoE #1 from Nicaragua was the daily press pot brew. $2.25 for a 16 ounce cup, can't beat that. My 8 year old even thought it tasted like coffee blossoms and cherries.

Truly exceptional coffee is not "cheap" to produce. At the very least it should sell for $3 a cup if it is really among the top coffees the world has to offer.