YM-2 Sweeper Arm Design

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
Need help with poor sweeper arm design. My used YM-2 (2006 model)had the UHMW pusher style arms that just pile up the beans and did nothing to push the beans out of the tray. Don at Ambex sent me a replacement set of arms that were adjustible but they are not working well either. What do the ones look like on a new machine???

What type of sweeper arms do you have and can you post photos???

Lachris

Lumberjack

Oct 17, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
The arms in the new YM-2's and older ones before your style are much more efficient. There was just a short time between the two production runs where the arms styles were changed to what you started with. The set of arms i sent you is as close to the newer style i can get without actually having the machine in my possession to make structural changes to adapt the new style arms.

im having a hard time uploading pics at the moment but ill try and get pics up when i can,

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
I'm sure I can make them work and I do certainly do thank you for your efforts with my problem. Seems like there just has to be a better way...

We'll keep working on it and see what happens.

:grin:

Lumberjack

Oct 17, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
d-bag-31283103739.jpg

here are the newer style arms. i can also attach stainless steel brushes to the arms if that is something you are interested in.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
No, gets most of them though. Better than the ones with little brushes on the bottom- They stick your fingers when you're trying to get the last couple beans out. Ouch! :shock:

Lumberjack

Oct 17, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
Temuri said:
I doubt that these arms can empty the cooling tray to the last bean. Can they?

it takes a bit of finagling to get them to clear out all of the beans and most of the time you wil have to use a paint brush to convince them all to get out, no biggie. The stainless brushes help out a lot in this task though and with some adjusting they will get all of the beans out.

Lumberjack

Oct 17, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
Coffeeexpert said:
No, gets most of them though. Better than the ones with little brushes on the bottom- They stick your fingers when you're trying to get the last couple beans out. Ouch! :shock:

yeah those darn brushes traveling around at the amazing speed of slow, its hard to dodge those lil guys without getting stuck lol

...ish

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
I'm just curious, and always enjoy a "coffee engineering" challenge... :D

Hard to tell from that picture and this might be a stupid question, but do the blades not go to the outside limit of the tray? Second, am I correct in assuming the arm sweeps clockwise?

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Swings clockwise, the arms are adjustable. Will get most of the beans out but will rub, scrape and eventually distort the cooling bin if not properly adjusted. They loudly click, clang and bounce if the cooling bin is not level.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Coffeeexpert said:
Swings clockwise, the arms are adjustable. Will get most of the beans out but will rub, scrape and eventually distort the cooling bin if not properly adjusted. They loudly click, clang and bounce if the cooling bin is not level.

it seems it should be so easy (for producer) to make it work properly. Are the bigger ones like this? I mean I think of bigger roaster and seriously consider Ambex but if even this simplest thing is problem ... :)

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
The materials don't look right. Too rigid in design. Looks like twisted bar stock MIG welded on to me. Drill the shaft and thread or insert a wire style L-arm that has a little flex to it. Add teflon or brushes to the blades. As long as the tray is true the blades will self adjust. Obviously there's a cost involved but you get what you pay for. :wink: