Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Employees that date customers resulting in lost customers

This is a discussion on Employees that date customers resulting in lost customers within the Business to Business B2B forums, part of the Community Board category; I keep coming back to this thread for further reply... lol.... I never had any of that problem at my business but it got me ...

I keep coming back to this thread for further reply... lol.... I never had any of that problem at my business but it got me thinking also.... I hope you can come up with solution that make everyone happy.....

2. # ADS

Hi! Sorry....I came back for a few days after i wrote that and never had a response then kinda forgot about it, guess I need to change a notification setting somewhere...Well, I read thru the responses and I have no real issue with flirting and attracting the guys, that's great in my opinion...my problem is the actual dating of the customers...this one girl has lost us 5 great male customers in the last year, she dates them...they fall hard then she breaks their hearts and she moves on to the next. We have since had to fire her due to her not showing up to work and guess what.....4 of those 5 guys are back! Yay! 5 customers might not seem like a lot to some of you, but that can be $50 a day........since we have let her go, the amount of female customers that have made complaints about her "not paying attention to them because there was a cute boy at the other window" so, it is concerning as a business owner to hear thing like that because there is SUCH a fine line between what's a good thing and what's not good. Being flirtatious, and pretty, and friendly is great for business until it goes to far and hurts your business in other ways.....sometimes it can be so hard being an owner or manager it's like being a parent to adults that act like children! FWIW we have a couple other attractive young girls that work for us, they do not have this issue, so it might have been an isolated case with that one girl.....lets hope so......

Super Moderator
    Hi "JLew"

Thanks for the update. I was also wondering how things were going with that situation. It sounds like you had no choice but to let her go.

Customers take offence to a variety of things, and it's good to pay attention to them and address them when you can.

For example, when I was visiting a local cafe, I recently overheard several older customers making comments about a young (around 25 years old) woman, because she called them "Hon." She said things such as, "Thank you, Hon" or "Would you like whipped cream on that, Hon?" I'm surprised the manager didn't notice that the girl constantly calls everyone "Hon" You can't take a chance of having your employees annoy people....even if it's because of something as simple to correct as that.

Rose

I was wondering about this as well... And i totally agree with Rose, professionalism is very important since most of your customers work in professional setting. They have certain expectations from the servers. I think middle age professional female customers are typically more demanding customers but they are very fair. If you can satisfy them, you can satisfy most of customers.

There is a small chain of about 10-12 drive thrus in my area. It is locally nicknamed "aroma hoes" for a reason. Their coffee is terrible, but the lines to see the "hoes" is typically long. This operation only hires young attractive college girls.

When I owned a drive thru I had a very good male barista. Sales would be lower the days he worked verses the cute young blonde barista that worked opposite days. Eye candy is more realistic as to why they were coming in the first place. In my case clients actually looked for her car!

If she brings you clients, personally I would keep her dressing the window!

There are also another coffee drive thru in my area and they hire young ladies who would fit the description of Hooters restaurants servers but their business is not much better then the typical drive thru coffee shop...
    It might look busy but when I really gone into their books, it really did not look good enough for me to buy.... I ended up purchasing different coffee houses and I am much happier I didn't buy the other....

I'm just curious, does anyone have any advice on employees dating each other? Stories....motto's?

I guess we are different, I mean....I totally get the sex sells motto, but I HATE that...I'm a mom of a daughter, and I work with my mom as owners of this hut...We have always really prided ourselves on our customer service in our small town. We have gone to weddings, and funerals, and called to check on people, we have sent customers flowers when they come through crying, I'm not a skinny chic, but I care about people. We have been in business for 9 years, and in that time I can't think of ONE of the 9 other huts in this town that have not closed or sold in that time period. So as much as I get the Sex sells motto, I do think it works for longevity. I LOVE our coffee hut, and LOVE that we are like that. I have heard horror stories from MANY girls about their managers (that have been male) that are very perverse with these young girls and it just makes me sick!!!! I like being a stand up business in our community!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads