Bean Storage

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Never have seen those before. Let us know how they work for you. Of course beans really should be ground just before brewing and you really don't want to store beans for more than a few weeks- although I think most of use have had some for much longer than that.
Give us a review after trying for a few weeks

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Never have seen those before. Let us know how they work for you. Of course beans really should be ground just before brewing and you really don't want to store beans for more than a few weeks- although I think most of use have had some for much longer than that.
Give us a review after trying for a few weeks
Will do. Yes I do grind just before brewing just wanted to keep the beans as fresh as possible until I use them.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
There are a lot of those containers in different styles and as long as the seal is intact and the hinge does not break they work great. I use vittle vaults in my shop to store my roasted beans in. Been using them for the past 6 years and never had any problems. Another jar works is the locking Ball Jars that were used for canning. They are clear but no sunlight when the cabinet door is shut.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Charlie, the containers I bought have a one way valve in the lid which is supposed to help keep the coffee fresh, I'm new at this but going to give it a try and see how it works.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Thanks Charlie, the containers I bought have a one way valve in the lid which is supposed to help keep the coffee fresh, I'm new at this but going to give it a try and see how it works.

The one way valve in those is a gimmick; it sounds good on the surface, but unless you're roasting your own coffee, the coffee you'd buy is already finished off-gassing. Keeping oxygen away from the beans is where your battle actually lies. And since there's a ton of oxygen in there with the beans, whether you open it or not (and I'll assume you're opening it every day), the containers are better than leaving the coffee in an open-top container, but not much.

I prefer some sort of bag, say a non-gas-permeable foil bag, so that you can remove most of the air before you seal it. They don't make as nice a presentation on a countertop, but function better for keeping beans fresh.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Not so sure that it's gassed out when I get it. The place it get roasts it and ships it the same day and I have it the next day.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Not so sure that it's gassed out when I get it. The place it get roasts it and ships it the same day and I have it the next day.

Gotcha. There are two camps; one says CO2 outgassing and kept in the container is not conducive to best flavors, the other says it doesn't matter. I don't think it matters. One way valves in bags help bags to not blow in transit to the customer, but overall, I don't think they're necessary at all.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha. There are two camps; one says CO2 outgassing and kept in the container is not conducive to best flavors, the other says it doesn't matter. I don't think it matters. One way valves in bags help bags to not blow in transit to the customer, but overall, I don't think they're necessary at all.

Thanks, I do appreciate the response. You could be right but since I already have the containers, they really didn't cost very much I'm going to go ahead and give them a try for awhile to see how they work. If they don't I'll look for another solution.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks, I do appreciate the response. You could be right but since I already have the containers, they really didn't cost very much I'm going to go ahead and give them a try for awhile to see how they work. If they don't I'll look for another solution.

Whenever I've viewed these containers online it always looked like you would push down on the red button that's on the top of the container and it "burps" the air out, like you do with a Tupperware container.

You'll probably be opening and closing the container every day, and you'll be letting air in and out every day. If you just store as much coffee as you'll need for a week, you'll be fine.

Rose

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I've viewed these containers online it always looked like you would push down on the red button that's on the top of the container and it "burps" the air out, like you do with a Tupperware container.

You'll probably be opening and closing the container every day, and you'll be letting air in and out every day. If you just store as much coffee as you'll need for a week, you'll be fine.

Rose

Thanks, actually these containers have nothing to push, I'm not really sure how the "valve" in the lid works.
I'm using these more for longer term storage. I have a smaller container I use on a daily basis so I'll be in and out of these containers maybe once every couple of weeks so I'll see how that works.
At this point I'm experimenting so the process will probably change over time.
I do appreciate all of the comments.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Those containers should serve you well. As PR suggested, just limit how much you store, because no matter what you have your beans in past 10 days, you'll notice a decline in flavors. The CO2 that's in the beans after the roast... as it leaves the bean, it allows the favorable chemical compounds that produce the flavors to come together... so during the rest/de-gassing time, flavors will improve each day. The rest time needed for flavors to peak will vary from one coffee to the next, as well as with the roast level - darker roast, less rest/lighter roast, more rest. So if a coffee needs 4 days to peak, and it has a 6 day plateau where the flavors are best, it'll begin to age and get stale from then out. Your containers will be airtight and will help delay and slow down that staling process (which is mostly the interaction of oxygen w/ the bean) but still, bear in mind that a couple week's worth of coffee is all you really want on hand if it's convenient enough to buy often and in small amounts.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Peter, I'll bear that in mind. It's looking like I'm going to need to rethink a few things as time marches on.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Best way for fresh coffee would be to roast as needed and consume accordingly. Next best method I would suggest would be to order coffee that is roasted to order, let it rest 4-7 days depending on roast level/taste preference and vacuum pack/deep freeze in Mason jars. Then thaw out what you need daily and you will be good to go. I have tried all sorts of storage methods and find this to work well. So much so that it makes no sense for me to bother with home roasting.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Best way for fresh coffee would be to roast as needed and consume accordingly. Next best method I would suggest would be to order coffee that is roasted to order, let it rest 4-7 days depending on roast level/taste preference and vacuum pack/deep freeze in Mason jars. Then thaw out what you need daily and you will be good to go. I have tried all sorts of storage methods and find this to work well. So much so that it makes no sense for me to bother with home roasting.
What do you use to roast your coffee?