Coffee Bean

Rolandis

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Im new to this forum however i have read maby helpful articles up to date here so i was hoping to find some help to a question i have.

Basically i am starting a new coffee roasting company here in Cyprus were i seek to roast and supply fresh coffee beans to cafe & restaurants in my town.

My question is what it the most common bean type variety i should import to supply them with? their a tons of varieties out there and i dont know which to purchase!! I wish to find a coffee variety that will be lets say my stock variety and from that point on if a cafe wishes a better quality than i will get it for them.

i am seeking for a viruety on the quality end but not expesive, value for money beans.

Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thank you

8010coffeeroasters.com

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hi Rolandis
hopefully I can help.

Your question will be mostly depends on your county/city customer's coffee demands.
let me give you example. I believe that your country people drinks a lot of "espresso" blend coffees, not so much specialty coffee, such as chemex, aeropress,...etc based on single varietal coffee beans.

if your city/country is "espresso" based coffee culture (and I believe it is), you need to buy & roast coffees from Brazil / Vietnam / India (lower grade Arabica coffee, but some are quite good and perfect for espresso blend and good pricing). Also, think about buying SHB (strictly hard bean, 81 to 82 points) from Guatemala or Excelso from Colombia at reasonable pricing, actually now is the time when NYC pricing is at $140.00 (came down about $20 in a month and GIVING ME A LOT OF HEADACHE TO SELL MY GREEN BEANS IN GUATEMALA). they are mixed coffee varietals, not one single kind.
this will be about 90% of your country coffee sales, ESPRESSO BLEND COFFEE.

also, to cater higher clients, you need to stock up some basic specialty coffee such as : Sidamo, yirga from Ethiopia, Bourbon, Caturra, Pacamara, Marago from Guatemala, Sumatra from Indonesia, Supremo from Colombia...etc

if you want to go even higher... : Geisha from Guatemala or Panama, Jamaica blue mountain from Jamaica (too expensive, just marketing purpose), Kona from Haiwaii (same as JBM), Kopi Luwak from Indonesia (better to forget about this...) and finally, Black Ivory coffee from Thailand (this is the worst of all)

by the way, all said and done, if you ARE JUST STARTING ROASTING COMPANY IN CYPRUS, it will be a lot beneficial for you not to import directly from overseas country, but making some good relationship with local green bean importer in your country to buy the beans. Please ask the company what sells the best and what is the best beans to start with...etc. Please make it sure to find a good and honest bean importer.

thanks
alex from Ensoluna S.A.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
My question is what it the most common bean type variety i should import to supply them with?
i am seeking for a viruety on the quality end but not expesive, value for money beans.
Thank you

I just realized that I did not exactly gave you the answer you have asked. so here it is.

most common bean type : this would be typica, bourbon & Caturra. however, this would not be related to your roasting business. I can explain this, but it would be very very long posting and I rather avoid it. (please study more about the coffee bean matters, relating to actual coffee business)

Value for money beans : again, it does not work that way in actual coffee buying world for green bean sellers and buyers. here is quick explanation.
now NYC (New York Coffee pricing, stock trading pricing) is at $140.00 (PRICE PER 100 LBS CAFE GREEN)

below is "rough" explanation, but pretty close.
1. Robusta : about $20 over Stock market pricing you will pay. $140 + $20 = $160 FOB (free on board) Brazil port. you will be responsible for freigth, handling, tax...etc

2. Common arabica, about 78 points : about $40 plus Stock pricing $140 + $40 = $180
this 78 point stands for SCAA cupping point which grades the quality of coffee bean. Higher the score, better and more expensive it is.

3. SHB bean (mixed varietals), 82 point : about $80 plus $140

4. SHB (strictly hard bean, arabia, mixed varietals), 85 point : about $110 plus $140 = $260

5. Single varietal (Pacamara, marago, mundo novo, bourbon.etc with 86 to 90 point) : from this point, it is considered as Specialty coffee, micro lots. so it does not go with Stock pricing. it is based on "micro lot special pricing. SUPPLY AND DEMAND. at this moment, it is selling at $350 to $600 range.

ALSO, the pricing is depends on coffee bean process. as example, Pacamara washed processed (87 point) bean is about $370. but if you want this with Natural process, the pricing will double, about $700 per pound (by the way, it is based on Guatemala coffee situation, does not apply to other countries)

6. Geisha, Luwak, Kona, JBM..etc : it could be from $1500 to $10,000 per 100 lbs. Better not get into it. Only super reputable and marketed company can handle and sell these beans.

hope this helps a bit.
PS: by the way, just by reading your question, I recommend you to study a lot more about origin of coffee beans and coffee trading methods and pricing. HOWEVER, AGAIN, to start your own roasting company, you need to work with local importers... then, when you are fully ready, then, start importing.

coffee business is very complicated and tough business. However, I find it very rewarding. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

thanks
alex from Ensoluna

Last edited:

Rolandis

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Alex thank you so much for your time and effort you put into your response, i appreciate it.. Your comments are Very Helpful thanks a lot