BIC

Philz roasted coffee beans.. what the hell is going on? and does it really work?

Nearby my house, Philz coffee shop just opened up.

Personally I hate their coffee. It is just not good for me. My wife and my daughter like their coffee, but just not for me.

This is how they roast their coffee. they mix different roasts in one batch.
    as example, as you can see from the photos, first one is Light roast and second photo is med roast.

Does this style really work? I am not a roaster. I know how to roast, but my specialty is green bean exportation, so I know how to cup and how to do sample roasting, but never in this way.

So, I would like to ask our forum roasters about the way how Philz coffee roasts their beans and mix them together to create their "light" or "medium" roast profiles

Philz roasted coffee beans.. what the hell is going on?  and does it really work?-coffee-lighter-blends-new-manhattan.01.pngPhilz roasted coffee beans.. what the hell is going on?  and does it really work?-coffee-medium-blends-tesora.01.png
    Last edited by PinkRose; 07-07-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Those types of blends can give a layered profile, especially for espresso. The 'light' I'd consider medium as it looks to have a good bit of full city level beans. Their version of 'medium' is definitely dark to me as the mix looks to be full city+ to Vienna/French. Seems roasting guidelines/terminology is rather broad and whatever works for them simply works.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Those types of blends can give a layered profile, especially for espresso..
    thanks for your good comment.
    will this type of roasting give a full profile of "light" roast for making V60 or chemex? or even good brew coffee?
    I guess that SOC (single varietal like Yellow Bourbon) will be out of the question, right?

Honestly can't give my opinion on that as I've never used a V60 or Chemex. Of course taste is subjective and what some love some can't stand. As you likely know some coffees are just better suited for espresso or drip/pourover, etc. So much alters taste and body it can be difficult to pinpoint some things. When people question whether something might work for ____ with this ____ coffee I recommend just trying it to see as you never know.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links