Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think I figured out the culprit. I was using merely 7 grams ground for a full serving (about 8-10 ounces).

At lunch today I'll try about 14 grams of finer ground (about medium grind). I'll stick with the four minutes for brewing. It's all a learning phase. What would I do without you guys (besides drinking really weak FP coffee).

Quote Originally Posted by djveed
    I think I figured out the culprit. I was using merely 7 grams ground for a full serving (about 8-10 ounces).

At lunch today I'll try about 14 grams of finer ground (about medium grind). I'll stick with the four minutes for brewing. It's all a learning phase. What would I do without you guys (besides drinking really weak FP coffee).
    Don't go too fine for the F/P or you will end up with lots of fines in your cup & a more bitter brew. A coarse grind works well with a 4 minute steep time.

Too late man. I didn't bring my coffee grinder to work. Boy they would hate me if I did that.

Haha in between meetings you hear "burrrrrrrrrr".

Well tell them good coffee comes with sacrifices. Mostly their quiet time for your happy time.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Quote Originally Posted by djveed

14 grams for 8 ounces of almost boiling water is about right. Grind should be coarse enough to be filtered out by the screen. If I may add, add some hot water to the glass to heat it first. Dump the hot water, add coffee grind, pure 8 ounces of hot water into the glass. Wait 15 seconds so the coffee bloomed. Stir it 2 times, plunge the screen down a bit so the coffee grind is completely submerged. After 3 or 4 minutes, plunge it down.

An alternative to french press is individual drip like Melitta and Chemex. I prefer the Chemex.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Super Moderator

Brewing

Love the Toddy and roasting coffee for it.
    Jim Lyon
    Jim's Coffee Beans
    relax and roast some beans

Just had the greatest FP coffee ever...

Quote Originally Posted by ElPugDiablo
    14 grams for 8 ounces of almost boiling water is about right. Grind should be coarse enough to be filtered out by the screen. If I may add, add some hot water to the glass to heat it first. Dump the hot water, add coffee grind, pure 8 ounces of hot water into the glass. Wait 15 seconds so the coffee bloomed. Stir it 2 times, plunge the screen down a bit so the coffee grind is completely submerged. After 3 or 4 minutes, plunge it down.

An alternative to french press is individual drip like Melitta and Chemex. I prefer the Chemex.
    This is precisely what I did! What a great post-lunch coffee! The first 3/4 of this perfectly brewed FP coffee tasted thick and delicious. It put drip coffee to shame! I used about 16g for 8 ounces at medium grind setting and let it steep for four minutes, stirring once immediately after pouring and then plunging in and out once at about 3 minutes. It tasted like espresso, full of flavor! The last 1/4 or so of the cup got a bit bitter - I'm assuming this is simply because some grinds may have gotten into it - no problem.

Is the caffeine content in a FP coffee made with 15g coffee to 8 oz water MORE or LESS than a standard single espresso?

"16g for 8 ounces at medium grind setting and let it steep for four minutes, stirring once immediately after pouring and then plunging in and out once at about 3 minutes. It tasted like espresso, full of flavor!"

I'm excited to go home now and try your method.

I'll bring my tool box & gram scale for accuracy.
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

It's been four hours. What's the verdict? I've had two FPs since then. It's midnight and I'm wired.

Heh, my computer at home is dead, I just use the one at work mostly.

Well, I used 32g Kenyan med. roast/med. grind with 16oz water. Stirred right away then let steep for three min, then plunged down then up (a bit slower than usual), waited another minute then poured two 8oz mugs.

Honestly, it's stronger than what my usual ratio provides and surprisingly it didn't make it any better to my taste. I almost wanted to add more water, it was too strong, I'm not used to that. Maybe I'm a miser with my costly coffees ($17/lb Kenyan from my local roaster), so I think I'll stick to less coffee to water.

Anyway, I'm using more coffee in my FP than I do in my one cup brewer to get the same flavor.

Funny thing, the more coffee I drink, the less beer and liquor I've been drinking. I've not touched either in months.... Not interested really.

Life is good enough with better coffee.
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links