Cool Tips On How To Grind Coffee Beans

tracy6413

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Visit site
The very first thing that one should have before grinding coffee beans is really a grinder. The grinder need to create an even grind. These are named burr grinders, wherein the beans are placed in a hopper and they pass via the grinders one time.
The grinders come in manual or electric form. An electric grinder might be best for people who loves to appreciate freshly ground coffee but are always on the go.
If one would like the hands-on charm of grinding one’s personal beans, then the non-electric or manual grinder will do.
Select only the freshest coffee you can find. This can be determined by looking at the roasting date of the coffee. The best coffee beans to be ground are the ones roasted not more than 7 days ago. When storing the beans, you have to ensure that it’s kept in an airtight container.
You should be very observant when looking at the vacuum packaging of the coffee beans. Check if the beans have expanded and fit tightly to the packaging because this means that the beans have lost their freshness. This happens due to the fact the beans discharge carbon dioxide as they get stale.
The instant you’ve picked the beans, you’re now prepared for grinding coffee beans. Set the coffee grinder within the suitable settings you like.
If you are using manual grinders, keep in mind that you will find two adjustment nuts within the handles. The first nut is utilised to adjust the appropriate grind and the other is operated to secure the grip.
To obtain the beans chopped properly, keep an eye on the grind at all times. Decide the granule size you would like. Fine granules make strong coffee nevertheless too much fine grinds will make it bitter, plus longer grinds will result to smaller granules.

Angelina

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Never grind more coffee than you will use for immediate brewing. Once the beans are ground, the flavorful oils are exposed to the damaging air. As these oils dissipate, so will the flavor of your coffee. Once ground, coffee will begin to lose its flavor almost immediately. Different methods of brewing will require different grind consistencies. Typically, coffee used for drip brewing should be ground to a consistency similar to granulated sugar. The complete drip cycle should occur within four to six minutes. If the drip cycle is completed in less than four minutes, grind your coffee finer. If the cycle takes longer than six minutes, grind your coffee coarser. When using a French press, the coffee will need to be ground extremely coarse. Espresso requires an extremely fine grind...almost powder-like with a slight grittiness. The key to the proper espresso grind is the extraction time. After the proper dose and tamp, one ounce of espresso should be extracted in approximately 25 to 30 seconds. Like drip coffee, if the one ounce extraction occurs in less than 25 seconds, grind your coffee finer. If the extraction occurs in longer than 30 seconds, grind your coffee coarser..:coffee1:

Last edited by a moderator:

jayulzvern

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Ive been using a blade grinder for some time now, and my tastes have surpassed its abilities. The blades creates a very uneven coffee grounds. I am looking for a Burr grinder but have not benefited from the reviews on the net. I am looking for a good quality Burr grinder in the less then 100$ range. Do you know of anything?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Ive been using a blade grinder for some time now, and my tastes have surpassed its abilities. The blades creates a very uneven coffee grounds. I am looking for a Burr grinder but have not benefited from the reviews on the net. I am looking for a good quality Burr grinder in the less then 100$ range. Do you know of anything?

Espresso only or less demanding brew methods? A great all-around grinder in that price range would be the Capresso Infinity. Some like Baratza and Bodum offerings, but I've never used those brands so can't comment. I do have an Infinity and it works quite well.

Gilroy

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tracy,
Good coffee grinder will grind coffee beans very efficiently and consistently and grind fresh coffee and then discard and it will get stale coffee.

castellano

Jun 7, 2011
Germany
Visit site
Hi guys, nice article. I am opening a coffee shop in Madrid, and I am looking for a professional coffee grinder. My provider has offered me a Marcfi coffee Grinder. It looks impresive, but a little bit more expensive I thought. So, reading your article, Do you recommend a litle bit of 'investment' in the grinder ?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Hi guys, nice article. I am opening a coffee shop in Madrid, and I am looking for a professional coffee grinder. My provider has offered me a Marcfi coffee Grinder. It looks impresive, but a little bit more expensive I thought. So, reading your article, Do you recommend a litle bit of 'investment' in the grinder ?

Don't know anything about that particular brand, but their grinders look like rebadged Compak models, which are excellent and easily on par with other commercial grinders.

What size was recommended to you?

Zecryphon

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't know anything about that particular brand, but their grinders look like rebadged Compak models, which are excellent and easily on par with other commercial grinders.

What size was recommended to you?

I've been looking at conical burr grinders for the beginner and came across this. I don't know how good it is, but I can't afford the really expensive ones and I too need to keep it under $100.

Amazon.com: Mike Meyer: Wish List

If the Kyocera is not good, I will try the Capresso Infinity.

castellano

Jun 7, 2011
Germany
Visit site
I think we are talking different things here. The Marcfi grinder I am talking about is a professional one.
I read in other forums that is wise to invest in a coffee grinder. It can make the final difference between a good espresso coffee and an excellent one.
We expect lots of people at certain times so I need to be able to serve lots of espressos in a short time. It gives me 14 Kg/h grinding power, so I can get fresh grinded coffee fast. Since the brand is manufactured also in Madrid it will be good for technical reasons as well.