good blend with columbian beans

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good blend using Colombian beans ( and anything else). Are there some definite "don'ts"? I know this is a random question but I am looking to try blending for the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
A general rule when blending, is to combine beans with different characteristics. For example, take something with a bright acidity, and try combining it with a full-bodied coffee. No matter what, test it out before you sell it. Test small batches, and experiment.
Try different blends / roasts... play. That's the only way you can really learn, and it's fun besides.

In regard to your question; I've blended Colombian Excelsio with a nice brazil and had terrific results.

What are you blending it for? Drip coffee? Espresso? Be sure to try it in the application for which you're blending it.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, thats helpful. Do many people blend africans with any south/central american beans? I am blending for drip coffee. I have a couple espresso blends that are reasonable, but that is a mother animal. I have had so many different drip blends that I'm trying to grasp some of the common ones to see which I like best.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Take the colombian to the dark side of medium and blend with a central american roasted just a tad lighter. Sample @2 parts colombian and 1 part central american and then reverse amounts to see which you like best.

Or take the colombian to french and blend w/ sidamo roasted to the light side of medium. (2 parts sidamo, 1 part colombian.)