New needs help

chrisgreece

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello people!I need help! I recently bought a gaggia baby classic espresso machine. I bought coffee from a coffee bean shop and i asked to cut it at number 3.5 for the machine.I am trying to get a freddo espreso which is a double espresso but cold with ice cubes in a big glass.The place that i am failing is at the dripping of the coffe by the machine.I do not acomplish the right analogy between coffee and dripping time so the coffee gets more water and the coffee sucks.Do you know what should i do to get the freddo espresso done?
Looking forward to your help!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
You will experience lots of issues by having the coffee pre-ground. Coffee used for espresso stales rather quickly and should be used within 30-60 minutes after grinding for best results. It really does lose its edge in a short time frame and quality fades faster than you may believe. For example, what is ground on 3.5 in that shop may be perfect for your machine within 1 hour, but if that coffee sits for even 1 day it will more than likely give you a thin/watery mess because all the "magic" has disappeared. Fresh is KEY with espresso.

Different coffees benefit from slightly different fineness levels and it's in your best interest to buy a decent grinder and dial the coffee in at home as you use it.

Do you have any idea how much coffee you are using in the basket for each extraction?

chrisgreece

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
For just espresso i use about 9g,for freddo espresso about 18-20g .how much does a good grinder cost?if i shut the glass entirely and do not let air gets in,also put in the fridge you think it loses still its quality?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
You're using 9g in the single basket and 18-20g in the double basket?

Capable espresso grinders start at $200 (U.S. $). Better build quality/burr sets & tighter tolerances raise the price considerably.

Of course the less coffee is exposed to air the better off you will be, but with espresso fresh is the only option, meaning you grind/use as soon as possible for each extraction.

chrisgreece

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
( barista-shop.gr/espresso-equipment/manual-grinders/porlex-coffee-grinder )Well about the grinder i was assuming that a manual grinder is a good and cheap option .Look at the link that i just put and tell me your opinion!Well i have 2 baskets ,the first one is for espreeso single or double ,it gets fulled with 18-20g but even if you try espresso single with 7-9g it gets the job done and the second one i think it's for ristretto ,it gets filled with 22-26g(there i tried to make double espresso but the flowting is too fast and therefore did not accomplish to make a good double espresso coffee). So i use the first one for both espresso and freddo espresso(freddo espresso is the type of coffee that here in greece we drink cold,we just put in the double espresso coffee one ice cube and we put it in the mixer for about 1second so it wont destroy its perfume and its essence ,immediatelly after mixing we put the espresso with the icecube in a glass witch is full of icecubes and that is the FREDDO espresso,The essences of the coffee get trapped inside if we use big ice cubes,its a hell of a coffee for the summer coming,trust me) !

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Have you ever tried using ice cubes with coffee? People go nuts over this here. On a side note...sounds like your coffee is not ground fine enough.

IMG_20120916_072007.jpg

chrisgreece

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Wait to send you a demonstration facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4598700767141&set=a.4103782314489.2135737.1280928886&type=1&theater Check this out.Here in Greece it's called Freddo Capuccino,i am not sure if it exists in other countries at this form.If you like it tell me to send you the way it is made

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Yours looks like an iced cappuccino to me...The picture that I posted was just iced coffee. I am replacing the gaskets on my machine..when it is up and running I will post another pic of an iced cappuccino..