critique these two machines?

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a better brewing system for a small deli I roast for. A local service guy told me he would sell me
1)Fetco cbs-2031 airpot brewer (used, great condition)
2)Bunn G9 single hopper grinder (used, great condition)

both for $400, $500 installed. Seems like a good deal to me.

My questions are: what is your opinion on airpot brewers like the Fetco...is this going to make quality coffee (it retails around $1,100)? Is the Bunn grinder a good option? Does it seem like a good deal to you?

Any advice you may have would be appreciated!
-greg

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As far as these type of brewers go, Fetco's are the best.

Not a fan of batch brewed coffee. But good choice for a deli.
Bunn or Grindmaster would serve this purpose well.
Make sure burrs are new if the grinder is used.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As I said, "for a deli" it's a reasonable choice. At a deli, the deli part is the focus, and that should be the priority. But if it was a coffee shop that served deli-style sandwiches, that's a different story.

It's not the brewing so much as for the serving of it. Coffee should be brewed, then served. Not brewed and held. And (speaking to coffee shops) once it's in the airpot, no amount of talking will take customers away from the fact that you did nothing but pull a lever or push a lid to get their coffee. It's nothing but a convenience at that point, and any reflection of quality will be spelled out at that exact moment.

The days of batch brewed coffee for any coffee shop should be long over as well as the days for anything less than $2.50 per cup.
Whether it's press, V60 or Kalita Wave or Melitta pour over, siphon, Eva Solo, Chemex, or Beehive dripper... coffee at a coffee shop should be made fresh and served by the cup lest you want to be a convenience store or a diner.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
As I said, "for a deli" it's a reasonable choice. At a deli, the deli part is the focus, and that should be the priority. But if it was a coffee shop that served deli-style sandwiches, that's a different story.

Thanks John. Your opinion is appreciated. I consistently enjoy reading your posts on this forum.

Anybody else out there have thoughts on $400 for a used fetco cbs-2031 brewer and bunn G9 grinder? (for a deli!) good or bad deal/idea?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Fetco is a very good brewer for your environment. As John stated, if it will brew at 200 degrees consistently(check this out!), that is a great price.
Make sure you use a good filtering system for the machine. Fetco does not recommend using a softener. If deciding on the Fetco brewer, I would
suggest a grinder that brews directly into the brew baskets,(will save a lot of time and mess!) there are a number of models both Fetco,Bunn,Grindmaster,
Curtiiss. Some will have 2 hoppers, one for decaf coffee. They can be set for the volume brewed. I would also recommend these dispensers:

Fetco L3S-15 Luxus 1.5 Gallon Thermal Dispenser | D052 | myBoelter

Rather than the stainless steel dispensers. I find they hold the temp better, and are not as heavy and long for cleaning up.