Gaggia classic

froggystyle

Feb 2, 2014
England
Visit site
So, got me a gaggia classic with the OPV mod done, the wand swapped for a silvia v1/2 and stuck a little thermocouple on the side of the boiler to monitor temp. Not planning on the PID as i think the cost far outweighs the value.

So do you all use the classic over here much?

If not, what is the budget starter machine in the states?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I agree with PIDs costing more than they are worth and nothing more than a crutch that removes some of the skill/technique involved with the experience. Once temperature surfing is done to find the sweet spot for a particular coffee, just repeat.

I have a Kitchen Aid Pro Line machine, which was made by Gaggia for KA and is basically a Gaggia Classic with dual boilers. I have quite a bit of experience on some really good home/commercial machines and the Gaggia Classic is a very capable machine.

RayTCoffeePro

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I used to be on a Classic....

I could tell you, this machine is great with a pid (on the cheap) and with a Silvia V1 wand, with an OPV retune....

PID to get proper boiler temp for brewing and steaming.....

Great steaming from silvia wand (the stock panarello really doesn't cut it)

I also chopped the bottom of my portafilter to diagnose extraction problems....

Anyways love your Classic ;)

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Not that anyone wants to hear my opinion but here goes.

On the standpoint of MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) the Klixon that regulate the temperature on that Gaggia run about 250 - 300K cycles. The last Watlow controller I came across had an 88,000 hour mtbf. So roughly 10 years which is about how long those $5 Klixon's last. So if you look at it just from the side of mtbf its pointless to change out a few $5 limitstats with a $200 controller that roughly have the same mtbf.

Just a thought....

Last edited: