Ascaso Steel Uno Prof or Sylvia?

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
My Gaggia Evo is starting to die, and in my search for a new machine I seem to be down to those two models. I got a good offer for the Steel from a coffe store I go to for most of my coffee needs, and they recommended not to bother with the Sylvia. What are the pros and cons of each?

Another option is buying a proffessional machine second hand from a person I don't know, how would I check if it's a good buy?

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the double post, but just wanted to update.

I ended up getting the Ascaso Steel. Still learning how to get a consistently good cup from it, but it's miles ahead of my old Gaggia Evo.

It seems like the single basket holds well over 7g of coffee (and the double holds well over 14g), but I can't be sure since my kitchen scale isn't working right now.

The "no burn" steam wand gets hot enough to burn, though accidental momentary contact is safe.

It changes in under a minute from espresso to steam, and can be switched back equally fast by running water from the boiler through the steam wand or straight into the drip tray.

the boiler is the same volume as in the Silvia, but unlike the Silvia the heating element is on the outside, giving an increase of ~30%-50% useable volume.

It comes with a double spout on the portafilter which doesn't screw on all the way, so there are 2 black rubber gaskets at the top of the threads.

Access to the water tank, I understand that to be a real pain in the Silvia, is achieved simply by pulling it out at the back of the right side of the machine. The water is pulled into the tank using a hose which accepts a water filter/softener.

All in all I feel I got a good value for my money, and it will allow me to continue my journey towards my ultimate coffee.