The Dragon Brewer

Chipster67

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Have you guys seen that Dragon brewer? Just wondering what your thoughts are on this device. Seems to me that you have to be a true coffee geek to pick one of those up far too costly for me :)

Chip

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing Chip. It's a siphon pot where the vacuum is created manually rather than by physics of steam and pressure variations with temperature. If this makes better coffee, I would imagine that is debatable. I'm reasonably sure that it gives Todd a sense that he has taken another step toward coffee nirvana, and that is all good. What bugs is that he uses his fascination with this brewing method to set himself apart from us mere mortals in the world of coffee, but even that I can forgive because in the end, I am a coffee spaz to someone, so I'll give the respect upstream that I hope to receive downstream. Price aside...I'd love to mess with one of these some day, but at $400.00 dollars...it'll have to belong to someone who isn't me...just sayin'....

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
You sparked my curiosity, and I just had to take a look at it. It's not very pretty.

No...not pretty at all. I reread my post and realized that my reference to "Todd" was not referenced...so if you Google "Dragon Brewer" you'll get a link in the results to a video of "Todd" giving a demo of using the Dragon Brewer. Like I said...I am not keen on him suggesting that only the truest of the true coffee elite are enamored with this brew method. For me, there is an aspect to coffee best described as imperfect perfection. It is the variations found in the beverage that result from imprecise application of coffee to water ratio...water quality...coffee quality...grower attributes...processing attributes...etc...one would never be able to duplicate the exact beverage again...and if they did, then most of us would get bored with it. Not trying to speak for anyone else here, but just sayin'...

Anyhow Rose, at least we agree...it ain't pretty...LOL! :razz:

Chipster67

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Also agree, far from pretty. And a lot of work for so little as well.. at least that's my thinking. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
:roll: My take: Big time overkill. Designed for Big Time Coffee Snobs. With Big Tme Deep Pockets. The brewer is basically a vacuum brewer where you can GRADUALLY LOWER or GRADUALLY RAISE the temp of the water at any given time. Why you would want to do that GOD ONLY KNOWS. Optimum brewing temp is 205. You will get that and maintain that with any vacuum brewer AS LONG AS you do not let the water boil up through the top during the initial vacuum process. So if you keep your eyes on the rising column and pull from heat just prior to the last rising blast you are good to go. And you will save yourself hundreds of dollars over the cost of that thing.

Len