Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Can this be true? $300 vs $3000?

Youtube / Seattle Coffee Gear is pretty reliable coffee educational source that I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuIO...&index=23&t=4s

In this Video, she compares $300 & $3000 espresso machine for tasting comparison.
    According to her, they both came out very close, close enough that she had to take a "wild guess".

I just would like to ask our roasters here.
    these espresso machines do not make so much difference in making a good espresso?

I have a couple over $3000 ones for home use now. Their only benefit is consistency: doesn't matter if it's me press the button or my wife, the espresso comes out will be exactly the same each and every time. You can't say the same about $300 ones. That's the difference.

Well - in this review Gail is only discussing espresso extraction. If you are only considering the espresso exctraction as you measurement the lower end machines can do an amazing job. My old Ms. Silvia would pull fantastic shots - close to my Rocket 58 or LaMarzocco Linea... really. HOWEVER, when it comes to steaming milk there is no comparison - the single boiler / less expensive machines simply can't steam like an HX or Dual Boiler machine.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    HOWEVER, when it comes to steaming milk there is no comparison - the single boiler / less expensive machines simply can't steam like an HX or Dual Boiler machine.
    Yes, I completely agree on this point. thanks Musicphan

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    I have a couple over $3000 ones for home use now. Their only benefit is consistency: doesn't matter if it's me press the button or my wife, the espresso comes out will be exactly the same each and every time. You can't say the same about $300 ones. That's the difference.
    A $3K super auto isn't going to give espresso close to a typical more costly semi-auto/lever machine. With the super autos the price is for convenience and consistency, with little effort. That's fine for those that have them, which is what matters.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Well - in this review Gail is only discussing espresso extraction. If you are only considering the espresso exctraction as you measurement the lower end machines can do an amazing job. My old Ms. Silvia would pull fantastic shots - close to my Rocket 58 or LaMarzocco Linea... really. HOWEVER, when it comes to steaming milk there is no comparison - the single boiler / less expensive machines simply can't steam like an HX or Dual Boiler machine.
    I will kind of disagree... I don't steam often, but when I do the Silvia is a steam demon and I've textured everything from soy, almond, whole, half-n-half and even egg nog with it, which is quite the test. A single boiler won't be the fastest or do lots of volume, but for 1 milk based drink at a time something like the Silvia is quite good. Absolute best steaming I've seen was the 2 group NS Aurelia I owned/used commercially. A 14 liter boiler and those awesome lever steam valves blew every other machine away with control and speed. It'd easily steam whole milk from 38 to 145 degrees at a rate of 1 oz. per second, if that.

Totally agree on the espresso comparison as a dialed in single boiler is right there with anything else on the market.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

BIC
    $3000 one for home use? that is pretty awesome.
    what do you have? can you give us some photos of your home espresso machine? thanks

I have a Krups EA 9010 and a Jura Z6. Z6 is a typical European design using a standard brew group. Krups makes their own called "heating element and jack" something.

Krups is the only fully automatic machine I know on the market. I only need to pour milk into a cup, it does everything by itself and even clean itself afterwards. For Z6, I still need to keep milk in a separate container and clean everything myself (at least I have to pour detergent, change/attach milk system cleaning container etc.) Since I started with Krups EA 9010, I feel too much work with Z6. But others may not even notice.

BIC
    I have a Krups EA 9010 and a Jura Z6. Z6 is a typical European design using a standard brew group. Krups makes their own called "heating element and jack" something.

Krups is the only fully automatic machine I know on the market. I only need to pour milk into a cup, it does everything by itself and even clean itself afterwards. For Z6, I still need to keep milk in a separate container and clean everything myself (at least I have to pour detergent, change/attach milk system cleaning container etc.) Since I started with Krups EA 9010, I feel too much work with Z6. But others may not even notice.
    thanks for info whycoffee.
    I just looked into Krups at Amazon. $1750, not bad pricing.
    one more question. since it is full automatic and it is very consistent, still does it make as good of latte/flat white as commercial machines at coffee shops?

It makes pretty good latte. I tried to use Z6 to make a flat white just minutes ago since I read about it here. Well, just like the name, it's too flat for me. So I have no idea since I never had one before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links