Is this a good starter unit?

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have always loved coffee and enjoy lattes, but due to the cost and budgeting I've decided to pick up a good starter unit. I don't need anything automatic and already have one of those small coffee grinders with a blade so I just need a good starter unit.

This unit seems to have pretty good reviews, but it has a "pump" so not sure if that's worth getting or not. Also is 15 bars a good thing or should I be looking to something higher?

Delonghi EC460 $145.00 There is a link on amazon, but it wouldn't let me post it.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
First, FORGET the blade grinder. Good for flax seed, maybe, but these pretty much create a grind that insures that the coffee will be bitter.
The DeLonghis are not worth the cost.

Are you interested in making the best coffee possible for the least amount of money? Do you like a rich, full-bodied coffee? Here is what you want.
Start with an inexpensive grinder. Any of the Baratza grinders are a good bet. They have refurbs on their website at good prices. If not, something like the Jura-Capresso. DO NOT get a Cuisinart. If you find a cheap grinder one you like, ask here before buying.

Best two ways to brew for the least money are: 1 - The Espro Press. It looks like it costs too much at $75 until you taste the coffee. The French press was made obsolete when the Espro press hit the market. 2 - The Mypressi Twist. For about $150 it makes real espresso, and when paired with a quality grinder can rival machines costing $1000.

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. The reason I was choosing to go with the Delonghi is because I have a gift certificate for staples that I was looking to use. The next model after that was the JURA ENA 5 for $1200 so I guess I'll just start shopping around for something else.

tonym

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Im only new here but have been making espresso at home for quite a while and I have a Saeco Via Veniza that cost around $400 and makes a great coffee for a lot less than $1200. Breville make a good conical burr grinder and also Sunbeam for under $180

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Im only new here but have been making espresso at home for quite a while and I have a Saeco Via Veniza that cost around $400 and makes a great coffee for a lot less than $1200. Breville make a good conical burr grinder and also Sunbeam for under $180

I too have the Starbuck 'Barista' version (Saeco) of this, and while it cannot maintain a stable intrashot pull temp (measured with a calibrated thermocouple) and it pulls cooler near the end of the shot, it makes a very cheap entry point, and can deliver decent shots, especially for milk drinks. Still requires a good grinder, though! :)

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Still shopping around for something. I kinda of like the Mypressi Twist, but the cost is $180 and after shipping and tax it's about $200 to your door. Then you still need to continue to purchase the c02 cartriges depending on use. The biggest grip I have is you don't have any way to steam milk like a traditional machine. Granted I can spend more for the slousher that basically just forces air into microwaved milk, but now i'm looking at around $250 which is almost the cost of a full machine since the Saeco Via Venezia is only $299 from amazon.

Is the Saeco Via Venezia the same as the Starbuck 'Barista' version by Saeco??

For the grinder I found the Jura-Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder at costco for $100

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
A couple more options. A co-worker who has an amazing setup suggested the "Nespresso Aeroccino 3" to do my milk if I did decide to go with the mypressi twist. He said it's about the size of a small grinder, but gives you the most amazing steamed milk and since I love latte's I'm all for it.

Here is the link.
Nespresso Aeroccino Three at Sur La Table

Cost is $100 so it would be about the same as getting a full machine.

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any feedback on the Saeco Vienna Delux? I can pick up a refurbished one since their service center is within driving distance. A little more than I wanted to spend, but at least it's an automatic machine.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
The Saeco Vienna Delux is called a "Super Automatic."
I have to guess that you can't get a demonstration at Staples.. Based on that:
1 - look carefully into their return policy and be sure it comes in writing and applies to refurbished products. AT LEAST 30 days if not more. You don't want a machine that produces something you cannot drink, and most boats already come with anchors.. No return policy? Don't buy it.
2 - find out if there is an extended warranty available. Check that it is honored at that service center.
3 - make sure the people at the service center know this machine.. maybe even go and talk to them before purchasing it.

Is the coupon good online?????
The online store has a Jura on sale for $799... Just a thought.

Last edited:

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
The Vienna Delux is $320 so hopefully that's a good deal. You never know when talking to sales guys. They do offer a 6 months warranty, but don't offer anything extra. I kinda of like this machine because it has a grinder included so it's $320 and i'm done. Not like the mypressi which is $200 then $100 for a grinder and $100 for a milk frother. Then you still have to do it all by hand. I don't mind spending a little more for convenience as long as I don't have sacrafice quality.

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Actually I have $500 in staples coupon so the Jura at $800 would only cost me $300 out of pocket for a $1k machine so I'm seriously considering that option.

Does anyone know how the warranty is with these machines? Unfortunately Staples couldn't give me any info and suggested I call the manufacturer directly? In Sweden?

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I decided to pull the trigger on the Jura Impressa C5 since it did have the 20% discount. I called Jura and they give a full 2 year warranty on their machines so i'm good if I end up with any problems.

After getting up on Saturday letting the old machine warm up for 10 minutes, grind the beans, tap, and then brew 2 double shots to make 2 drinks we decided that if we are going to stop buying from coffee houses we needed to get something that will be a lot faster and easier to use or we would probably end up with a counter weight and just go to the coffee house out of convenience anyway.