Mini Mazzer grind settings for French Press?

jeff423

Sep 19, 2011
Missouri
Visit site
I use my Mini for espresso almost exclusively. I find it works well at the factory espresso setting which is about 4. I vary it a bit depending on bean type age, etc. I will have some friends staying with me next weekend and they like to use a Fr. press. Can anyone tell me about where it should be set for a press.

Thanks,

Jeff

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Sorry its mainly used for espresso but I have good news for you. The numbers on the dial mean absolutely nothing to anyone except the person standing in front of it. They are simply a reference point for you and only you. With that being said experiment, experiment, experiment! When you find the best setting remember it. Also since that is an espresso grinder its going to be a lot more finicky then a standard bulk grinder. So remember you can't just put it on the number and hope for the best, your going to want to test a small sample to make sure its correct before you grind your French Press.

jeff423

Sep 19, 2011
Missouri
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.
I would have to dispute your statement that the numbers on the dial mean absolutely nothing to anyone except me. It comes from the factory with a sticker showing the setting they (factory) recommend for espresso. I remember from my alt.coffee days that most people who had mini mazzers found that the factory setting was a very good starting point. I'm guessing that Mazzer's quality control is such that if someone else who has one is using a setting of "x" for a Fr. press that that would be a good starting point for me. My contention is that since there is such a large difference between an espresso grind and a Fr. press grind, knowing someone else's settings would reduce my experimentation.

9/21/11

Found the answer on another forum: set the grind about 2.5 "big numbers" from the espresso setting. Since my espresso setting is about 4, I'll set the grinder at 6.5 as a starting point.

Jeff

Last edited:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I understand what you are saying. I understand the factory has a preset setting. What I'm saying is that the number don't mean anything because they are simply a reference point after a person zero's out the grinder. The factory zero's it out on the floor and then sets it to a point that should make an espresso that will need further fine tuning. The point here is SHOULD. Your still going to have to make adjustments and since we tell everyone that there are more factors then coarseness settings that go into espresso the same factors also apply to your grind for drip coffee.

Now furthermore I have taken 2 brand new Mazzers out of the box and had 2 completely different settings for grind for espresso. Yes they were close in number but it wasn't enough to say hey pull it out of the box and put it on 4.