Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is the best espresso machine for me

This is a discussion on What is the best espresso machine for me within the Coffee and Espresso Machines forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Granted, Silvia is a bit pricier and I didn't want to invest 600 for a first machine either but there doesn't really seem to be ...

Granted, Silvia is a bit pricier and I didn't want to invest 600 for a first machine either but there doesn't really seem to be an equally durable (and tested) alternative. It's a good bet that if you don't like it, you'll have buyers lined up. Research it and choose wisely because it is quite an expense. I'm certain you'll find one your happy with.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by CCafe View Post
    12 years ago the price of gas was about $1.50. A metric ton of copper was running about $1800. Today gas is running close to $4.00, a metric ton of copper is pushing $9000.

So now you can see why innovation has plateaued yet the price of espresso equipment has gone up. I don't like it any more then you do but I don't see the markets stabilizing any time soon so as long as the demand for precious metals and other commodities increase so will the price of manufactured goods.
    Innovation has hit a plateu with Rancilio and the Silvia, but not so with most other manufacturers. The Silvia "used" to be THE home machine, now it's more of an after thought. Same with the Rocky grinder. Surely still a really good grinder for home use, but other manufacturers have stepped up their game and are offering better performance/features at a competitive price. Unfortunately Rancilio is one of those companies that takes the motto "if it ain't broke don't fix it" a little too seriously.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by Startup View Post
    Granted, Silvia is a bit pricier and I didn't want to invest 600 for a first machine either but there doesn't really seem to be an equally durable (and tested) alternative. It's a good bet that if you don't like it, you'll have buyers lined up. Research it and choose wisely because it is quite an expense. I'm certain you'll find one your happy with.
    The Gaggia Classic and LeLit PL041 are easily on par with the Silvia regarding build quality and performance. Both are close to $200 less as well, which leaves room for a decent grinder.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

I would agree that all three are probably tops in the class.

how about getting a manual espresso machine? You'll definitely learn the grind, tamp pressure, water pressure, pre-infusion, etc. to a 'T'. If you can master the manual, you'll make the best espresso of your life

I guess you'll have to enlighten me on what they could do more to make the Silvia better? Honestly I don't want an automatic Silvia and everyone who is out there that PID their home machine just wasted a few hundred more then I want to spend on something that may only yield marginal results at best. About the only thing out there that could possibly make the machine better would be to offer a plumbed in version.

For the most part there is nothing you can do to the Rocky to make it better but to make it bigger. If you make it bigger then your interfering with your other grinder lines, the MD40, 50 and 80.

I don't believe the approach from Rancilio is if its not broke don't fix it. Its more of the home unit slot has been filled lets continue to improve upon our commercial line. Which by the way is where all their money is at. The home machine has little to no margin compared to that of a commercial machine.

Simply put the Silvia is a great unit. To top that off its easily repairable and the fact that they haven't changed it much means the parts will be available for it for a very long time to come. I just had a Gaggia in the shop that quit working. Unfortunately it was only 6 years old and the control board that was specific to that machine cost more then it was worth to repair.
    Have you ever walked through the isle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

I'm not saying the Silvia could be or should be made better. Problem is the price continues to rise and the machine has stayed pretty much the same for years. Don't bother telling me it's because of material cost when other companies aren't spiking prices the way Rancilio has.

The Rocky could be quite a bit better if they would make it stepless as any good espresso grinder should be. Nobody complains about the build quality of it, just the stepless factor and excessive slop in burr carrier threads. A bit of teflon tape is an easy fox for that though.

Point is there are other home machines available that are easily on par with the Silvia for less. I've never been blown away with anything Rancilio offers. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Don't bother telling me it's because of material cost when other companies aren't spiking prices the way Rancilio has.
    No other companies are trying to keep their products selling in a certain range and because of that I'm seeing a ton more plastic. The last few home machines that have been brought in to the shop that were all purchased in the last few years have had a lot more plastic in them. Companies are finding ways around it.

Personally I don't think Rancilio cares to compromise on quality period. Also just because you haven't seen the prices change doesn't mean they haven't I would say most commercial machines have gone up by about $2500 in the last 5 years. If you don't believe me ask around. Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, Cimbali, Pavoni, Marzocco all have been jumping prices by $400 to $500 a year every year for quite some time.
    Have you ever walked through the isle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Hey all, especially CCafe...do you really think the innovation is general is tipping? I'm in the process of designing an all in one green bean to brew machine...Hopefully I can get some buzz ha

Heard good things about Delonghi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads