reputable suppliers

the people at folgers emailed me and told me that they only buy their coffee beans from reputable suppliers, what if someone new wanted to get into the coffee industry? how could they get foot in the table and sell their beans to folgers? folgers also told me that they only buy their beans from tropical climates where high altitudes are available. how true would this be? but what about when someone who supplies their beans to major american coffee companies retires, what then? do new people come in?how does new talent come in? regardless of how folgers and other american coffee companies decide how to go about buying their beans, who decides from whom they will purchase their beans from? is it the companies or the coffee farmers that decide this? who has the final say when it comes to american coffee companies buying their coffee beans from? is it them or the farmers? can a barista please tell me on this one. rsvp. thank you.

Banned
    Okay, lunfardi, I will reply back to you point by point. No BS from me and I will be as honest and frank as possible. By the way, I am in the business of selling green beans from Guatemala, so I know bit about this. You will find my answers after your questions.

the people at folgers emailed me and told me that they only buy their coffee beans from reputable suppliers, what if someone new wanted to get into the coffee industry?
    ### the chance of someone new selling to them is "almost" impossible. ###

how could they get foot in the table and sell their beans to folgers?
    ### your company needs to be one of the biggest, most reputable and also one of the cheapest. then, you can contact them for possible business ###

folgers also told me that they only buy their beans from tropical climates where high altitudes are available. how true would this be?
    ### good coffees are from coffee belt countries with high altitude (over 4000 feet high). This reply from folgers is very unclear. You need to ask him exactly how much they want to pay for a pound of coffee, CIF their factory in USA ##

but what about when someone who supplies their beans to major american coffee companies retires, what then? do new people come in?how does new talent come in?
    ### they do not "retire". they never retire. New talent? this is not American Idol. they do not pick up new talent. biggest, most reputable, cheapest companies. that is what they are looking for, IF they want to replace their current suppliers... but they hardly ever do... ###

regardless of how folgers and other american coffee companies decide how to go about buying their beans, who decides from whom they will purchase their beans from?
    ### every company has buyers of green beans. those big companies will have their purchasing dept. the buyers will decide where to buy ###

is it the companies or the coffee farmers that decide this?
    ### coffee farmers decide??? of course not ###

who has the final say when it comes to american coffee companies buying their coffee beans from?
    ### the company buyers / or purchasing dept director ###

is it them or the farmers?
    ### "they" decide, not the farmers.###

I doubt that anyone else in the forum will reply to you on your questions. I hope some of them do, but it would be very hard for so many reasons and levels.. ha ha ha. Anyway, what I told you above is best I can do for you.

PS: I got your private text, but hopefully my this reply will suffice.

how can i delete the same thread that i have tried deleting but cant? rsvp

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lunfardi View Post
    how can i delete the same thread that i have tried deleting but cant? rsvp
    I deleted your duplicate thread. In the future, if you ever want to delete a thread or post that you've written, you can go to that post and go to the bottom of the screen and click on Edit Post. You will then have the option to edit the post or delete it.

Rose

Super Moderator
    It's not a matter of someone retiring and you jump in and get the business...There is no way you could grab that contract from Procter and Gamble.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    It's not a matter of someone retiring and you jump in and get the business...There is no way you could grab that contract from Procter and Gamble.
    hello Topher, you are being very "glass is half empty" attitude.. LOL why? I got below message from Lufardi yesterday.
    perhaps he can inherit few hundred million dollars from his uncle, I "think" selling his coffee to Procter and Gamble might be possible, of course, he might be losing few hundred millions dollars in next few years..... anyway, it "is" possible :+)

i have a rich relative whose net worth is anywhere from 100-400 million dollars that i would eventually inherit when he dies. if you dont recommend that i enter this field, then who do you recommend enter then?https://bizfluent.com/how-5828950-pu...lantation.html what type of individuals are suited to enter the coffee cultivation business then if not me? im not trying to be naive but thats why im asking you since you seem to be an expert in this field. i know that when my uncle dies he will leave all that money to me but i want to be wise and enter a business that is lucrative or as lucrative as its going to get. im not an expert in any field when it comes to businesses! on the contrary, i ask for other peoples opinion when it comes to self employed business people! would it be fair to assume that any coffee farmer will make good money or not? who makes the most money when it comes to coffee, the farmers or american coffee companies? if you are located in guatemala, how do you make a living growing coffee then if you dont recommend it for me?

here is my answer for you.
    * 99% of coffee farmers around the world DOES NOT make any good money from selling their coffee.
    * Big coffee exporters, Hugh coffee companies such as Nescafe, Folgers..etc "might be" making some great money, but I would not know exactly since I do not know their P&L statements.
    * Yes, our company is in Guatemala and honestly, it is absolutely super tough (specially for a small company like us that specialize in micro lots and high end commercial beans). so I "do not" recommend you to be involved in coffee industry.

PS: if you can inherit few hundred million dollars, please do something else with that money. If I were you, I would not invest that money into coffee industry. However, If I would have a hundred million dollars to spend, I would love to do something very meaningful for the people who are suffering in coffee industry.

by the way, I am kind of certain that there are other coffee companies that are making very good money in Guatemala or other countries. so, if you use your money to hire right people, buy right farms, build a good milling company, hire some great sales people...etc, yes, of course, you can do it. However, I do not see any point for a person to do this when that person already has hundred of million dollars UNLESS there is some sort of conditions (with the money) that he/she has to get into coffee business.. . It is like the movie called "Brewster's Millions". (one of the best movies that Richard Pryor made)

Last edited by ensoluna; 01-17-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Super Moderator
    Hello Lunfardi,

Have you ever thought about talking to your uncle and asking him how he would like you to invest the money you'll eventually inherit from him?

Maybe he would appreciate having the conversation with you. I imagine that most people who plan to pass on the value of their estate to a relative would like to know what the receiver plans to do with the money they will receive. Unfortunately, most people don't get the chance to find out.

I hope that your uncle will be interested in guiding you now, while he's still alive.

Rose

Do what you love man. If you are inheriting 100MM + you can speak to a wealth manager and on say 60% of it live extremely well for many many generations. If your not "good" at business do what you love. I am not sure if that's coffee but don't get into the coffee business if it doesn't ignite your flame. Maybe its cars, buy a dealership(Not an easy business). Maybe its watches build a specialty watch business(also not an easy business). Maybe you love photography, open a photography company. Moral here is business isn't easy and the reason you would start a business is the intention to turn a profit. In your case there will be a lot of growing pains and having a passion for what your succeeding or failing at will help you grow and potentially make it the best ever and create your own legacy. Best part if you fail is that 60% 3/4% return compounded yearly will allow you to lead an incredibly comfortable life.

Good luck in whatever you choose and I would 100% speak with your uncle NOW.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links