I'm a new roaster. I've roasted some beans from Brazil (natural processed) and finding I can't seem to get a full body roast from these beans.

smitrock63

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm a new roaster. I've roasted some beans from Brazil (natural processed) and finding I can't seem to get a full body roast from these beans. Is it me or is it possible some beans just can't produce a full body taste? I've tried medium and dark roast and different roast profiles without success. Here's the last roasting notes I recorded while roasting (attached). These beans are a $3.20 / pound bean I purchased from a quality importer (name withheld). I was told this was a good bean for me to learn how to roast with. They made no promises of how good, or bad the taste I would get.

I compared my roast with that of my current coffee provider and found there's is a full body city roast that is delicious. Mine seems watered down and not full; leaving little after notes of origin. Please help me!!
roast profile 2.png

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Brazils don't tend to have a very mouthfeel forward body... esp a natural processed Brazilian. In general, I find Brazil's fairly flat flavor profile. And at that price point, they are probably cupping out at the low 80's so you kinda get way you pay for. If you want a thick mouthfeel go with a high grown Sumatra.

smitrock63

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Brazils don't tend to have a very mouthfeel forward body... esp a natural processed Brazilian. In general, I find Brazil's fairly flat flavor profile. And at that price point, they are probably cupping out at the low 80's so you kinda get way you pay for. If you want a thick mouthfeel go with a high grown Sumatra.
Thank you for your insight. That's good to know. I've got a Honduras Marcala 1100-1700 natural coming in. What's your take on that region?

smitrock63

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your insight. That's good to know. I've got a Honduras Marcala 1100-1700 natural coming in. What's your take on that region?
A side note of this. I recently worked on a roast curve I thought would produce a good roast, and I managed to follow that curve closely roasting a Costa Rica micro offering (10 lb roast) and was happy to taste a wonderful cup of coffee with full body, long lasting after-notes and very aromatic taste. I'm locking that curve down and so happy with it.