Help please: Some Questions About Coffee Shop Accounting

Do barista's wages count as a direct cost? What if they do cleaning as well as making cups of coffee?

yes, its a direct cost

Actually, barista's wages is a direct cost, it does not contain additional payments for other services. For example, I own a coffee shop and I pay my barista with $13 per hour. He also does clean at his workplace. I think the salary is good for a professional. I remember when I just started my business and opened my first cafe, I consulted with the guys from Szweda Consulting. They advised how I should manage my taxes and what salaries I should offer to my employees. Finally, no one of my employee has ever been dissatisfied with their salary. If you work efficiently, you are appreciated.
    Last edited by Rimusol; 01-24-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Super Moderator
    Rimusol, I am not sure if you are in the States or not. If you are. What happens to your $13 an hour employee when they raise the minimum wage to $15? Will you raise your current employess to $19.44 to make up for the cost of living increase?
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

As Rimusol mentioned there, it is a direct cost. I worked as a barista and my boss paid me 20$ per hour. I have to admit that at the end of the day I managed to have 100$ and it was ok for me as a student. I was working to pay my courses at Worcestershire accounting services. They offer a great start in learning all this kind of issues and how to manage the accounting in general. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to meet such nice people.
    Last edited by Tuskane; 02-22-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimusol View Post
    Actually, barista's wages is a direct cost, it does not contain additional payments for other services. For example, I own a coffee shop and I pay my barista with $13 per hour. He also does clean at his workplace. I think the salary is good for a professional. I remember when I just started my business and opened my first cafe, I consulted with the guys from Szweda Consulting. They advised how I should manage my taxes and what salaries I should offer to my employees. Finally, no one of my employee has ever been dissatisfied with their salary. If you work efficiently, you are appreciated.
    This is THE question being asked by business owners and employees who have worked for years for a business who never got to $15.00. In California, the minimum wage has been bumped up a few times in recent years, but I have not heard that employers have used this sliding scale to proportionately increase the payroll during these increases. I will be curious to see the different approaches to retaining good employees in lieu of pay adjustments across the staff.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    This is THE question being asked by business owners and employees who have worked for years for a business who never got to $15.00. In California, the minimum wage has been bumped up a few times in recent years, but I have not heard that employers have used this sliding scale to proportionately increase the payroll during these increases. I will be curious to see the different approaches to retaining good employees in lieu of pay adjustments across the staff.
    I also will be curious to see if businesses use a sliding scale to raise the hourly wage for their long-time employees. I'm sure there are many people who have worked a lot of years and only received small yearly increases to get to $15 an hour, and now the new employees will be starting out making that much. There's going to be a lot of resentment if a sliding scale isn't used to increase the hourly wage of long-time employees. It's not going to be easy to retain good employees, especially if they're getting paid the same rate as someone who is just starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskane View Post
    As Rimusol mentioned there, it is a direct cost. I worked as a barista and my boss paid me 20$ per hour. I have to admit that at the end of the day I managed to have 100$ and it was ok for me as a student. I was working to pay my courses at Worcestershire accounting services. They offer a great start in learning all this kind of issues and how to manage the accounting in general. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to meet such nice people.
    It is great that you managed to pay your courses

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links