Any bikini coffee shop owners here?

coffeedog

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
I'm expecting to get some hate for this question. I'm thinking about opening a coffee shop with baristas wearing sexy outfits. I don't want to be too specific, but the uniforms will be something between bikinis and starbuck's wear in terms of how revealing they are. The name of the shop will not contain any hints as to what the workers will wear.

My questions:

1. At what point, if at all, am I obligated to inform the municipality of what the baristas will be wearing?

2. If I don't perceive a need to tell the municipality of the workwear, can I be shut down by the municipality after the fact when they find out what the workers are wearing?

Incidentally, this is taking place in the pacific northwest, birthplace of the bikini coffee shop as I understand it. However, there are none of these shops in the municipality where I want to open one.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 14, 2010
Coffee Country, USA
Visit site
I'm expecting to get some hate for this question. I'm thinking about opening a coffee shop with baristas wearing sexy outfits. I don't want to be too specific, but the uniforms will be something between bikinis and starbuck's wear in terms of how revealing they are. The name of the shop will not contain any hints as to what the workers will wear.

My questions:

1. At what point, if at all, am I obligated to inform the municipality of what the baristas will be wearing?

2. If I don't perceive a need to tell the municipality of the workwear, can I be shut down by the municipality after the fact when they find out what the workers are wearing?

Incidentally, this is taking place in the pacific northwest, birthplace of the bikini coffee shop as I understand it. However, there are none of these shops in the municipality where I want to open one.

It's going to vary entirely based on your municipality. I'd honestly go down to city hall and talk to an employee there and have them help you. They should be able to help you find the necessary info.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
It's usually up to the city code ... I can tell you from experience you may want to reconsider this decision. I had a client that didn't last long using this model. They hit significant resistance with the city and patrons. Not hating, I just don't see how this is going to help your business, esp if you are not going to advertise this fact (at least in the brand name).

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I have nothing against your idea. Love it actually. But...

Do you have any experience with serving and managing the kind of clientele that would be attracted to that kind of establishment. Expect some differences. The element you are adding to the coffeehouse mix is mighty powerful.

coffeedog

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
I have nothing against your idea. Love it actually. But...

Do you have any experience with serving and managing the kind of clientele that would be attracted to that kind of establishment. Expect some differences. The element you are adding to the coffeehouse mix is mighty powerful.
That's a great point. It seems to me that most or all of these shops are drive through only. I suppose there's a reason for that. If I have sit down service it occurs to me that I would need to have two employees minimum, and one of them should probably be a male. I saw one drive through bikini shop in California where a girl was working by herself. That seems to be inviting trouble.

coffeedog

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
It's going to vary entirely based on your municipality. I'd honestly go down to city hall and talk to an employee there and have them help you. They should be able to help you find the necessary info.
That is an option for sure. But if it turns out to be unhelpful, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

coffeedog

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
It's usually up to the city code ... I can tell you from experience you may want to reconsider this decision. I had a client that didn't last long using this model. They hit significant resistance with the city and patrons. Not hating, I just don't see how this is going to help your business, esp if you are not going to advertise this fact (at least in the brand name).

coffeedog

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
When you say it's in the city code, do you mean I would find something like "workers in the hospitality business shall not wear bikinis or revealing clothing"? Or maybe "bikini coffee shops and similar are prohibited"?

This seems unlikely to me, although if you have any examples I'd love to see them. I am aware of a lawsuit in the PNW where the baristas sued and won over an ordinance that required them to cover their bodies. Just because the bikini coffee shop side one that one, it doesn't mean I would if I got into a legal battle.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
When you say it's in the city code, do you mean I would find something like "workers in the hospitality business shall not wear bikinis or revealing clothing"? Or maybe "bikini coffee shops and similar are prohibited"?

This seems unlikely to me, although if you have any examples I'd love to see them. I am aware of a lawsuit in the PNW where the baristas sued and won over an ordinance that required them to cover their bodies. Just because the bikini coffee shop side one that one, it doesn't mean I would if I got into a legal battle.
You don't remember the trouble that Hooters had? A lawsuit because they would not hire scantily clad men as wait staff. I kid you not. Hooters won, but I don't doubt their legal fees.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site

It's common for the health depts to require specific attire in the name of 'sanitation'. A quick Google search came up with this example:

coffeedog

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
You don't remember the trouble that Hooters had? A lawsuit because they would not hire scantily clad men as wait staff. I kid you not. Hooters won, but I don't doubt their legal fees.
I do remember hearing about this but I think this is apples to oranges. I'm asking how would the language in the city code look that bans this?