how do i keep My beans from getting too oily?

lenny

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty new to roasting and up till now have been following recipes and suggestions on when to drop the beans out of the roaster. My problem is my dark roasts are getting way too oily. how can i prevent this? or at least cut down the oils. Is it even possible? does it have something to do with the cooling process?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The longer and darker you roast, the oilier the beans will get. Maybe shoot for a batch just into the second crack between 445* and 455* for a dark roast with less oils making it to the surface of the beans.

Btw, you should pick up a copy of "Home Coffee Roasting, Romance and Revival" by Kenneth Davids to get a better grip on the theory of bean roasting, imo.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I would never go past 425. Maybe 433 if you do it right. Roasting dark destroys the flavors inherent in the coffee. And cut your heat before you finish. There's a lot of endothermic heat built up. The bean can finish the roast at a lower temp.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
And that internal bean heat John mentions continues to cook the beans after you dump. So if the beans look perfect to you on your roasting sampler then you've probably already roasted too long.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
It depends on the bean, whether soft bean, such as a Brazil or SHB like most Centrals. But as an average, I'd not go as hot, maybe stop about 10 degrees lower about two minutes before your roast typically finishes. It will, and should change with every type of bean. Roasting isn't just about start and finish, it's about how the heat is applied and controlled throughout the process. Experiment!