Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for Advice - For New Roaster

Anyone is welcome to comment, but mainly looking for input from those who have some experience. I'm looking to buy a new roaster. We'll call it a hobby for now but if I can make money as I go that is my goal. I think I've narrowed it down to three roasters. The first two are 6lb. capacity, on is a Dieterich and the other is a Sanfranciscan, both of which are superior quality. The third is an Ambex, twice the capacity but less on price. Thanks to anyone who has thoughts to share.
    Last edited by PinkRose; 08-01-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Changed the Title

Wow, so many looks but no one has an opinion.

I settled on a San Franciscan 6 lb roaster. But EVERY roaster has it's supporters, people who really know what they are doing and are dang good at it. By the way, the case is easy to make that San Fran and Diedrich are not superior by any stretch of the imagination. I've heard people call the diedrich a toy, the ambex a tin can on it's side, and the san fran overpriced because there just aren't that many out there.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Redswing; 08-01-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Super Moderator
    I have used all of the brands you are asking about and a few more. I always return to Ambex. Like Redswing said..it comes down to preference.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    Hi daneja72,

I changed the title of your post. It just said "looking for advice", and it needed to be more specific. Maybe that will help.

Rose

I really do not think you would regret any of the 3 choices. But for the best bang for your buck,
    and a real durable machine with great roasting results, I too would side wholly with Topher.
    Ambex. Enough said. I have a 2006 ym10, and the only downside is the chaff collection box, no cyclone
    chaff collector on this model, a lot of vacuuming. But the great news is that if you buy a new 5k and up,
    now equipped with cyclone chaff collectors. It is about time.

The only commercial roaster I've used is a Primo. I did quite a bit of research and for me, Primo worked out. Great customer service, Parts are easy to get (if you need them) and made in the USA as well.

I'm surprised the Probat Probatone series is not on your list for "quality roasters." Having used Diedrich roasters, I like the Diedrich IR series as the IR burners burn cleaner, and with less combustion by products than standard gas burner roasters. The air in the roaster is produced through heat exchangers and not directly from atmospheric burners. I would advise looking at how the roasters operate, and not just capacity.

If you are a hobbyist roasting 500g to 1kg batches, and that is your 'main thing' for the foreseeable future, get a small roaster.

The bigger the roaster the harder it is to roast a small batch. Think of a pan that can hold a 6lb steak and then you cooking a 1/2-lb steak in it. Lots of heat. Hard to control for the best outcome for the 1/2-lb steak. Same principle applies for a coffee roaster.

That said, I doubt with a 6lb roaster that you'd have too hard of a time finding a home for the coffee you roast -- just selling it to friends and family.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

One thing I looked at when choosing a roaster, was 'who is using each brand'? I know who I look up to in the world of coffee roasting, and who is producing award winning, top quality coffee. I know those people are using Diedrich, Probat, Giesen, San Franciscan, and one or two others. They aren't using Toper, Ambex, Ozturk, or your ebay special. I apprenticed on an IR 12, and initially had my heart set on a small Diedrich, but the small ones have airflow issues, and are expensive (comparatively). In addition, they generally aren't really capable of the stated capacity; a 2.5kg is really a 2kg roaster. I hate that they do that.

In the end I went with a San Franciscan 6lb roaster based on much of the above thought process, as well as the fact that it will (hopefully) best mimic my current roast profiles due to the ability to apply some radiant heat (my current drum is perforated), it's much more portable than the other brands, and it's purty.

Understand that the roastmaster is the most important part of the equation, and a good roast master will likely be able to roast great coffee on ANY roaster.
    Last edited by poison; 08-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links