Beginner - Home Roasting

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I jut received my Freshroast SR500. I just roasted two batches of beans that came with the package - "Brazil Joao De Campos." As indicated in the instructions, I waited three hours before grinding & brewing. I don't really like the taste so I assume it's just these particular beans. I do like the taste of brewing roasted Expresso beans from Starbucks.

I've heard I should let the beans sit for a day or two before brewing to develop flavor. There was a lot of foam while brewing. Does that indicated brewing too soon after roasting?

I am pleasantly surprised at how consistent the roast is. I'm surprised at how roasting coffee smells - rather strange. I expected it to smell like brewing coffee. Instead, the house sorta smells like hay. But, there wasn't any smoke that I could see, even though the color is pretty dark.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Did you set off your smoke detectors? If so, too much smoke:) I've done that more than once and got booted to the patio by my wife... I have always read most coffees should rest at least 24 hours. And I have heard some of the Brazils should wait 72 before grinding...
I like the grainy smell during a roast. My wife not so much... But in 24-48 hours the coffee should smell good. Just keep in air tight container where it can expell the carbon-dioxide. Keep us posted on future roasts

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Don't get too fixated on rest times before brewing. The characteristic flavors of that green bean (provided you don't over roast) and the roast itself will make it to the cup and you'll pretty much know what you're getting immediately after you roast. Try looking into the Ethiopian coffee ceremony, where, in the birthplace of coffee, they traditionally roast and then immediately drink together.

How long did your roast take? How much did you roast in one batch? If you like a Starbucks espresso beans, then roast through the first cracking sounds you hear, then after a short wait you'll hear a second lighter cracking...wait for that crack to get rolling, then take it out and toss the beans in a strainer outside to cool them as quickly as you can.

Perhaps the freshroast sr500 is too loud to hear the small amount of beans inside?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Win231,
Welcome to world of home roasting.
I have few friends who has Freshroast sr500 but they always fail their first roast.

First, the foam you are talking about is the gas being released from the coffee. Which is very normal for fresh coffee. When coffee doesn't release any gas, that means its has been sitting around way too long
Second, when you are roasting very little amount of coffee, you won't see much of smoke.

The reason for coffee being not tasty is because of the roasting time. Most of the time, you roast the beans too fast and they didn't have time to really develop the flavor. And three hours is not enough time. I would leave them over night.

I think you might have better chance of roasting your beans properly if you use the roasting pan over the stove top.

Try several batch and leave them over night.
Each batch should be roasted different ways and make notes of them.
Next day, find the one you like and roast same way.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
The reason for coffee being not tasty is because of the roasting time. Most of the time, you roast the beans too fast and they didn't have time to really develop the flavor. And three hours is not enough time. I would leave them over night.

This might just be some mis-information I picked up somewhere, but it sounds plausible; as the beans outgas, the escaping CO2 allows for flavor compounds to come together and complete the flavors we find after the resting is done.

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I drink coffee sometimes right after it is cooled. I make a french press generally. Although it does expel gas the taste is normally fine. Flavors will develop a little more in the next few days, but the "mandatory" 3 day waiting period I think is only "mandatory" for espresso. Anyways just my opinion and 2 cents.

Also they might not give out high quality beans with a roaster. You may have to order some better beans from sweetmarias or bodhi leaf or somewhere.

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. I'll try extending the roast time & setting the temperature on "Medium" instead of "High." Looks like you were right about letting the roasted coffee rest for three days. I tried another cup after two days & it was better (even though I don't like the "fruity" taste.) I just ordered some beans from Sweet Maria's. With the shipping cost, it's not as much a savings over roasted beans as I thought it would be. Anyone know a source that doesn't charge so much for shipping?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I just ordered some beans from Sweet Maria's. With the shipping cost, it's not as much a savings over roasted beans as I thought it would be. Anyone know a source that doesn't charge so much for shipping?

You might be aware, but the shelf life on greens is a looooong time, so you can buy more and fill up the box to save on costs per lb. Maybe SM's isn't running their shipping special, but it was 20# or less for $7.99 the last time I looked; you won't find anything cheaper than that.

And... homeroasting to save money is about the last reason to do it. Sometimes, when I'm getting too frugal, I'll break down the price per cup, and find that the difference per cup between coffee that's $4/lb and $8/lb just isn't that much. At 22g for a good sized mug, I can get 20 mugs out of a lb.; that's 20cents per mug at $4/lb coffee, and 40cents per mug at $8/lb coffee.

Last edited:

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Did you set off your smoke detectors? If so, too much smoke:) I've done that more than once and got booted to the patio by my wife... I have always read most coffees should rest at least 24 hours. And I have heard some of the Brazils should wait 72 before grinding...
I like the grainy smell during a roast. My wife not so much... But in 24-48 hours the coffee should smell good. Just keep in air tight container where it can expell the carbon-dioxide. Keep us posted on future roasts

No, the smoke detector in the living room 20 feet away did not go off. But this morning when I roasted more coffee outside, I started the roast on low heat with the top off of the roaster & I did see some smoke coming out after only a few seconds. The type of smoke produced is hard to see indoors; it's a very light color. That's why I couldn't figure out why it smelled up the house even though I never saw smoke.

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
If it was at the beginning of your roast, you were seeing water vapor releasing from the beans during the drying phase. Real smoke would be happening once the beans were into 1C and after.

I see. That's why it smelled so strange in the house - like hay or grass.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. I'll try extending the roast time & setting the temperature on "Medium" instead of "High." Looks like you were right about letting the roasted coffee rest for three days. I tried another cup after two days & it was better (even though I don't like the "fruity" taste.) I just ordered some beans from Sweet Maria's. With the shipping cost, it's not as much a savings over roasted beans as I thought it would be. Anyone know a source that doesn't charge so much for shipping?
Try Bodhi on EBay. You can bid on coffee in 5,10,15 & 20 lb. Lots at an average cost of $3-4 lb with free delivery. I have enjoyed their Colombia, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Ethiopia. All very good!

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
So far, I haven't found a coffee I like, so I ordered some beans from "Sweet Maria's." They arrived today & I roasted two batches (outside). I"ll taste it tomorrow (or maybe I should let them sit two or three days?)