Beginner - Home Roasting

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I still have a lot to learn. I roasted the "Expresso Blend" from Sweet Maria's. I chose that one because I like Starbuck's Expresso Beans. I used Med. heat for 10 minutes to get to 2nd crack & to get them dark. I brewed some three hours later & it tasted just "OK." The next day it tasted bad.

joeniehaus

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I have a question. I just started home roasting, I did it on a pan. When the beans finish cooling off pretty good, what should I do next and for how long? Thanks, if you could quote me so I get a notification that would be nice, or just send me a message

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I brewed the same "Expresso Blend" from Sweet Maria's that has been sitting for three days. It actually was pretty good. Looks like that three-day wait & the slower roast makes all the difference.

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh, it piqued my interest. I couldn't believe I'd been spelling it wrong for so long & I checked the package. Thanks.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
win231: Could you get specific about how you are brewing and drinking (creamer?) your coffee? If you are finding wildly different tastes from day to day, my first thought would be considering brew methods more than resting the roast, IMO.

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I use a pour-over brewer, either a Hario or a Starbucks, with a paper filter. I grind just before brewing. I pour the water over the coffee slowly with a Bonavita goose neck kettle after it's just off the boil. (I have checked the water temperature & it's usually around 200-205.) I always put 1/4 tsp of sugar & around two tsps of half & half. I use a "Pur" filtered water pitcher.