Seeking Advice/Guidance - Royal No. 5

octopolis

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I started interning, out of interest, with a local coffee roasting company about 9 months ago. I have been in the coffee industry for many years and wanted to round out my experience with the one piece that was missing--- roasting.

The first few months my mentor, Jeff, walked me through the process on the Royal No. 5 here at the roastery. Slowly, he started to let me do things on my own. The only information he ever really gave me was the starting temp he used, and the temp to pull the beans. This worked out pretty well for awhile until I started to notice the beans were getting a little too dark with the old temps... so I pulled back and got them looking about what we were hoping for.

About a month ago Jeff passed away suddenly of a heart attack and I am now the roaster for the company. I really enjoy roasting but feel like we need to obviously get a better grasp on roast times, temps, etc. I want a more consistent roast and I want exceptional coffee, not just good coffee. So, I started logging each roast using a very thorough roast log I found on the web.

I guess I am hoping to get some guidance here. Any information I find for industrial roasters is completely not pertinent to me as I use a turn of the century roaster and do everything manually.

Jeff's normal starting temp was WAY above what other roaster's use as a guideline, 670 degree fahrenheit, and first crack is pretty consistently at 400 degrees. My medium roast is done at around 434. I am starting to get a pretty good grasp on the air flow lever and how to utilize it to achieve a 15 minute roast, but most of the batches aren't quite there. The roast color is dead on, but the inside of the beans need a bit more time. I get a bit of chewiness.

Do any of you have experience with a Royal No. 5? Share some advice?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "octopolis"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I was sorry to read that your mentor passed away. I imagine it has been quite a challenge for you to try to fill his shoes.

We have a lot of people on this Forum who have exceptional experience roasting coffee. I'm sure some of them will be able to offer suggestions to help you with your questions.

Rose

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Likewise, sorry to hear of your loss, and the difficult position it puts you in.

Not only will you not have someone to lean on for advice, you won't have anyone to blame for pooched roasts. :)

I roast w/ an Ambex, and am not familiar w/ the Royal, but there should be enough similarities. Perhaps you can post your notes from your log on what you think is your best roast and your worst roast. It'll be easier to give some input if we know what you're doing now.

MiddleButtCheek

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear about Jeff, sounds like he was a good guy. I just recently bought a #5 that I'll be restoring, but don't know much about it yet. I could use some help with it too, would you mind if I PM'd you and asked you about your set up?