How much coffee to take to a festival?

Jan 21, 2015
California
Visit site
My wife and I started a roasting business and are a new fairly unknown name in coffee in our area. We are participating in a festival next month and will be offering samples of our coffee and selling packaged coffee (no drinks for sale). The festival has several thousand pass through over the weekend. I'm wondering how much packaged coffee I should plan on taking. I'm sure it varies widely but I'm hoping there might be some wisdom out there or a good guess. Anyone have a good rule of thumb they go by? Thanks!

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
I do several small (200-300ppl) and large (5000-25,000ppl) festivals and markets. I look at the historic number of festival goers and take 1-1.5% of the total number of visitors. We usually only take our top 6 selling coffees, 3 regular 3 flavors. We also only provide samples, so make sure have a way to brew additional coffee. We use 2 Bunn Commercial Brewers right into the airpots. We use 4oz sample cups and have mini-moo creamers, sugar, artificial sweetener, and a large Vanilla flavored creamer pump bottle. If you let the customers doctor their coffee they normally would they are more likely to buy.

Gary_Ramsey

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
If if it is a smaller festival you might think of doing french press. French press would blow most people minds plus of course fresh ground coffee beans. I can't say about a large crowd no experience there.

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
We do a lot of festivals and it really varies on the type of crowd. It helps a lot to talk to other vendors before if you can and find out what products sell well at that festival and the type of crowd to expect. Then determine how that fits in with your buyers and product. Make sure you have a grinder with you and then bring all whole bean. Also if you take credit cards(I recommend you do) make sure you have a large enough sign posted saying you accept them. When we started posting a sign we had an increase in sales.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It helps to talk to other vendors but I am sure they will be reluctant to give you true opinion.
I think the best way to do is to take enough to brew sample, I would say about 5 -10 pounds for sample and also take about 50 of your typical size bag. 1 pound or 12 oz bag. If you sell out, let people know you sold out and hand out your business card.
Do not bring too much. If you decide bring more, keep them in the car and bring out slowly. Do not bring out and display too much.

Jan 21, 2015
California
Visit site
Just a follow up. The festival had a few thousand in attendance (roughly) and we sold just under 50 pounds of coffee. We also sold out of our k-cups (which wasn't hard. I underestimated the market for them). I had to take orders on k-cups and fill them after the festival. Thanks for everyone's responses!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Just a follow up. The festival had a few thousand in attendance (roughly) and we sold just under 50 pounds of coffee. We also sold out of our k-cups (which wasn't hard. I underestimated the market for them). I had to take orders on k-cups and fill them after the festival. Thanks for everyone's responses!

Thanks for the follow up. It's always interesting to learn how things worked out.

Is there anything that you'll do differently the next time?