Bulk Container

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hello -

Do any of you supply your customers in large quantities of ground coffee? I'm looking for a recommendation for bulk ground coffee containers (besides 5 gallon buckets). I am working with a large customer that would like to purchase 25lb containers of ground coffee. So - it obviously needs to be airtight and reasonable cost ($5-8).

Mike

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Since it's for ground coffee, they'd be able to open one 5- pound bag at a time, instead of scooping coffee out of a 25 pound bucket.

If you "google" the words "air tight 25 pound container" you will see a lot of results for large air-tight pet food containers, and some are on wheels. But, I didn't see any that are around the $5 price range that you're looking for.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have a chain of 24 bagels stores that we supply coffee for. They have 4 different coffees that they offer. I would suggest going to a foil bag and pre-portion the coffee form them. It is super simple for the end user. They just tear and pour. bag stays sealed until they brew. In our situation they order weekly. We roast bag and ship and that coffee is used within 8 to 9 days. I wanted to have them switch to whole bean and grind in store. We tried this for a short time. The problem is that people in fast casual...well lets just say when they portioned out the coffee it wasn't consistent. They didn't always make sure that the grinder was set to the correct setting. With 24 stores and plans to blow up starting next year...it would be a nightmare. So we decided to KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. If you pack in 5 lb bags or larger..that coffee is going to go stale quick being opened and shut all day long..also you are relying on them sealing it every time. Good luck and let us know what you end up using.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My guess is you have a client wanting to make cold brew. May have to break it down into two 12.5lb bags if you can't find a cost efficient container.