Roasting Advice Needed!

Hello,

I am new to the Business of Coffee and I am about to get into the coffee industry. However, before I buy my own roasting machine, I wanted to roast my coffee at a nearby roaster. Therefore, I was wondering how much does it usually cost to roast a pound of coffee, before I go forward with price negotiation. They will be roasting and bagging the coffee too. Hence, I am going to be roasting at least 1000 pounds a month.

Malek welcome to the forum. Tons of variables in your question, the type of bags are a huge variable. The type of green is another, but I think your question is solely on the line item of what does it cost to roast 1000 pounds of coffee not inclusive of green & bag?

Good luck in the business!

Super Moderator
    Are you providing the green? If you are looking for a price for "toll roasting" and packaging I would say you are looking at about $1 a lb. I wouldn't personally do it for any cheaper than that. You would have to provide the green, bags and boxes. Hope this helps.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Thanks for the valuable info topher and Joe. Well, I am going to be providing the green coffee, I was looking for a roaster that would roast them and package them. I have spoke with one so far he wants to charge $2.65 lb but, I declined his offer and looking for a lower rate around $1.25 lb. I am NYC and if you can recommend any roaster nearby that would be great!

Super Moderator
    $2.65?? Wow. They must have a small roaster. If you want to take a mini vacation in Paradise come on down and I will knock it out for ya at a buck a lb. How much green are you buying at one time?
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Sorry, for the late reply. I was overseas. Its a long way topher! However, thanks for the offer. I guess now I have to learn how to roast by myself and buy my own roaster.

Quote Originally Posted by malek7373 View Post
    Sorry, for the late reply. I was overseas. Its a long way topher! However, thanks for the offer. I guess now I have to learn how to roast by myself and buy my own roaster.
    Hi Malek,

I also sent you a private message. I am just a few hour drive from NYC and am in the process of establishing my roastery. Your timing offers a unique opportunity for the two of us. As I increase my own goals of roasting a certain volume of coffee per month, 1000lbs per month of outsourced roasts falls right into my business plan while increasing my own label sales in the surrounding area. I have been a home roaster for 6 years, am in the process of finalizing plans for where I am housing my operations, and will be completing a week long coffee roasting training course in a few weeks as I transition into a larger shop sized roaster (approx 100lbs per hour).

Would love to connect and discuss a mutually beneficial way to get one another moving in the right direction.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links