Roasting Profiles

bamabeaner

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I am fairly new in the raosting process and am trying to find the best place to research for roasting profiles. I have a YM-2 and just need some help getting the basic profiles for my beans, and basic set ups for the YM-2. Can anyone shed some light for me? I would really appreciate it.:-D

bamabeaner

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I have been in contact with the manufacturer and know I need to attend a training class. However, there roasting classes are full until next year. I have had limited success developing my own profiles, but just thought there might be some additional info out there to shorten the learning curve.

TonyDiCorpo

Apr 18, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
just remember all profiles are not always interchangeable. It all depends on various conditions not necessarily controllable by the roaster. Some conditions are the age and condition of the green...is it older therefore dryer? Is it raining outside? is it hotter than the Georgia asphalt in the summer? is your roaster in need of a cleaning? how long is your exhaust stack? are you roasting 1# or 5? most of the time it's trial and error. It's best to develop your own profiles by try try and try again.

John Alexander

Apr 14, 2011
Spring, Texas
Visit site
Michael, Tony is so right on that the profiles I sent to you are not interchangeable, but they are a place where you can start, at least you can look at them and see what the machine is doing. I always record the temp's, the humity, what roast of the day it is (first roast of the day is different than the 5th), is it raining, how much coffee am I roasting, is the coffee a hard bean or softer. All play into the roast profile. But like Tony said try, try and try again.

bamabeaner

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Most of it has been very helpful. I sure am looking forward to SCAA in Houston next weekend. Thanks to all.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Stop by Ambex's booth and check into training courses that are offered in Clearwater Florida. If Ambex isn't at the convention talk to Don at Roasting Authority. Good luck!
Topher

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
I suggest roasting, recording, cup, repeat. Do this every time you roast and get new greens. Greens change from season to season. Profiles are short lived and will need to change as your greens change. Have fun!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
All true, although I don't have that type of roaster, in any situation all of those things play a major factor when roasting. For example I'm in Seattle and if you want to talk about changing weather, boy I can tell you some stories...However, trial and error is really the best way to do things and as both John & Tony mentioned be sure to record everything. This way you can develop a history as well as receipes. Be sure to keep your cleaning & roasting logs up to date at all times. BTW I use Diedrich roasters.