Barista wouldnt fill my drink to the rim

jashley

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
a barista made my drink with the drink not filled all the way up to the rim, and when I showed it to her and said can I have more milk to fill it to the rim she said I already put enough milk in it and then moved on to the next person. I feel ripped off because I didn't get the full amount for what I paid for.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "jashley"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

It sounds like you experienced some very poor customer service. It's easy to understand how you feel like you got ripped off. More importantly, you were rudely treated, which is something that should never happen. I'm assuming that you were polite and you asked her nicely about filling the cup with more milk.

Could you have complained to a manager, or was the barista the only person working at the time?

I'm guessing that you won't be returning there any time soon.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
jashley,

There may be other factors at work.

1) They didn't steam enough milk and were too embarrassed to acknowledge it and became defensive.

2) Having seen it countless times, they don't want you to spill.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Must have been a tremendous disappointment, so much so that it would prod you to make a first post on a coffee forum about it. One can only hope it doesn't have life-altering consequences. :)

Mzungu

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh nooooooooo!!!!! How did they dare!??? Shame shame shame
Mate, go outside, catch some fresh autumn air get some ecuatorian 75% chocolate bar and enjoy life.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Oh nooooooooo!!!!! How did they dare!??? Shame shame shame

That wasn't nice.

Sometimes, when you have no idea what's going on in a person's life, or what kind of day they're having, it's hard to understand how something that appears to be no big deal to you is actually a very big deal to him (or her). Who knows??? . . . . He may have had to work up the courage to go back and ask for more milk in his coffee drink. And then barista was rude. There is no excuse for that.

And, there is no excuse for members of this Forum to make fun of new members.

Let's play nice.

Rose

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
You are correct Rose. We should be nice.

It's just kinda quirky that it would continue to be a big deal long enough to go to coffeeforums.com, register and make the first post about it.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I think we should turn this into a general complaint thread against baristas and coffee shops. I will lodge the second complaint: Every time I go to Starbucks (not often) the "barista" will ask if I want room for milk. I say yes, yet they fill it still almost to the top leaving about enough room for a drop of milk. I don't feel ripped off, I just feel that they are just programmed zombies who are totally disconnected from reality and have major existential anxiety issues.
:decaf:

Len

Last edited:

Mzungu

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Pinkrose you are right, 75% ecuatorian chocolate might not be enough for a guy who needs more milk in his life, maybe a Milka bar would be a better choice.
My bad.

coco

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
This is what I wanna know: why, oh why, has it become SOP for the server to ask if you "want room" when pouring your brew?

I think it's cuz it got started, it caught on, and now people sorta think it's offering that little extra good service touch.

I gotta tell ya, if I want room left in my cup (which I do when I get a 2-shot breve), I TELL THE SERVER.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I've filled a cup of brewed coffee too high, and the person asked me to dump some out because they need room for milk.

It's more efficient to ask them if they need room for milk before you pour the coffee.

But, when someone says that they want a cup of coffee, black... I automatically know to fill it up.

It's better to ask first.

Not everyone remembers to tell the server what they want. It seems that they think you're a mind reader. I hate it when someone orders a cup of coffee and then I pour it, and then they say "Oh, I meant to ask for DeCaf. It's good that they can't read my mind, because they'd really be shocked at what I'm thinking and wishing I could say - but I don't.

By the way, welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Wow, i was only gone for few months and we are playing fun game without me.... lol... I like this topic. Because we can get direct feed back from some of the end users. Yes, I think it seem pretty shame to actually complain about such trivial things but that also means, he won't be going back to the same coffee shop for next drink. I think this is how you start losing your customers. So I would agree with Rose 100 percent that this was poor customer service. It really doesn't hurt ask or he someone asks for more milk, why not just give him some. We are all in service industry. We just need to remember that. ;)

DiegoFjord

Jan 6, 2015
Tampa, Fl
Visit site
As I see it, this is an issue of value versus quality. If you want value, go to McDonald's. If you want quality, go to your independent roaster/cafe. If you want neither, go to Starbucks. +1 to the barista.