Blue Bottle the best coffee place to go in US?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I heard so many Blue Bottle reviews. Do they have the best coffee places in US? What do you guys think?

Hello dave23,

Did you join the Coffee Forum to promote Blue Bottle? It sure looks that way!

If you think about it logically, you will see that there is no way to possibly determine the best coffee place in the United States. It's a matter of opinion, and everyone has one of those.

People tend to look for better, best, and better than best. It never ends.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree Rose. I personally like to experience many coffee houses, and, of course have a favorite. I like to think that the experience encompasses more than just the coffee itself. There is the ambiance, the personal interactions...perhaps a barista that remembers me and my favorite drink, and of course the coffee. It's like asking which restaurant is the best. I like to explore. If I had the time, I'd try to visit many coffee shops just for the experience of it. I might go to a Starbucks becasue of the convenience, and return because of the ambiance, or attitude of the staff. Why do we feel that only one company can have a lock on greatness? I've never been to a Blue Bottle, but it is definitely something I hope to have a chance to experience. Will I stop exploring afterward? Not likely! If I went to Italy, and there were a Blue Bottle, Peete's, Starbucks, <insert any chain coffee house herer>, all there side by side, I'd walk past them to the little hole in the wall cafe and ask for a cafe au'lait with a shot of espresso...and probably be amazed.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
LMAO....that made me laugh Peter. I'll sent my first batch of scortched...I mean roasted...beans your way so you can experience for yourself!! Life is too short to cry over spilled coffee...well, actually NOT...just sayin' :coffeespill:

davem23

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello dave23,

Did you join the Coffee Forum to promote Blue Bottle? It sure looks that way!

If you think about it logically, you will see that there is no way to possibly determine the best coffee place in the United States. It's a matter of opinion, and everyone has one of those.

People tend to look for better, best, and better than best. It never ends.

Not at all. It just got me thinking about how Blue Bottle managed to become a dominant player in the third wave coffee industry. I mean I do agree everyone has their own personal favorite cafe. And my favorite is everyman espresso. Just trying to understand whats so good about Blue Bottle.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read about BB, their founder is passionate about coffee. That just makes sense. He tapped into this 3rd wave mentality in a big way, and then did a fundraising campaign that brought a lot of attention. Bravo...he is living his dream and passion, and that is a good thing. He may be able to sustain his success, or not. I hope he does. But so many people have been doing specialty coffee for so long, it just astounds me that he's being treated like he just found the holy grail of coffee. I don't know what to say, other than I wish him all the success he deserves, and if I see one of his stores along my path, I will definitely be checking it out!! As far as best? What's he doing that hasn't already been done, and is being done by many others for so long? Look at Starbucks...they were stumbling along for a long time before Howard Schultz ever showed up. The phenomenon is rare, but it does happen. Now you've got me to thinking I better drive into LA to check this out...at least I think that's the closest to me...damn you Dave...lol!

davem23

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
To add on to that, Blue Bottle has also expanded to Tokyo! From what I know, probably not many third wave cafes have done that. I also just found out while surfing the net that they received huge amount of investments. Maybe this could be the reason why they are able to expand so quickly. But isn't it interesting how Blue Bottle can attract so many investors? What did the investors see in them that is so different from the other cafes out there?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My guess is they saw an opportunity to make money. A lot of people invested with Starbucks, so lets not confuse success in raising capital with the quality of the product...not that they are mutually exclusive. One does not beget the other is all I'm saying.