Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Number of Coffees?

About to open. How many different types should I brew on a daily basis? Recommendations?

I do one country of origin every week and people seem to like that. Keeps the cogs down and waste.
    Sunrise Coffee Co.
    Las Vegas
    sponsor of the fifteen minute coffee zen

I'd have to disagree with that approach. Variety is the spice of life. If you have only one or two selections and the place down the street has ten, you're going to be behind the eight ball right from the start. It's like a grocery store offering only one brand in each product category. You then become a simple coffee stop and not a potential coffee experience. You basically offer your competition a source for marketing their differentiation (variety and experience).

well, thats what the roaster says...

You can carry different variety but, your cogs go up with all the waste.

drip can only last for an hour after that it turns sour.

depending on the amount of different drips you want to carry that multiplies your waste.

then, you start leaving them in the pots because of the waste and then it tastes bad and the customers turn away.

Have one (or two if you must) really good drip coffee and replenish to keep it fresh.

but, that's just my view. customers like good coffee. period.
    Sunrise Coffee Co.
    Las Vegas

We do Columbian Supremo daily and a second different origin every day and keep it the same through the week (IE Kenya Monday, Costa Rican Tuesday and so on). We only carry seven beans plus espresso so that works well for us. If someone wants something that we're not doing drip that day we offer it in a french press as an upsell.
    Thank you,
    Tom

Queen City Coffee

I was gonna say the same thing.

I have done that with people who know their coffee and if you know your coffee you will want in a french press or kona drip(my new favorite)

when I pull out the kona drip for a sumatra tasting people go wild.

I have alot of sumatra lovers in vegas.
    Sunrise Coffee Co.
    Las Vegas

I'm a small bakery and hope to offer SO's soon. I'll probably keep it to one or two on a daily basis, a Kenyan and a Sumatran. No Decafs. Just stuff that I like. Can never please everyone, so why try.

The kiss theory is a good one. Ha ha. (keep it sweet & simple)
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

what is SO's
    Sunrise Coffee Co.
    Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by SunriseCoffeeLasVegas
    I was gonna say the same thing.

I have done that with people who know their coffee and if you know your coffee you will want in a french press or kona drip(my new favorite)

when I pull out the kona drip for a sumatra tasting people go wild.
    I have alot of sumatra lovers in vegas.
    So imagine if you offered ten or more varieties! The tasters would really go wild and you would then be offering a "coffee experience". You are rationalizing the wholesaler's desire for maximized margin from selling you a lot of one or maybe two coffees in larger quatity and less variety.

This why people are starting to roast their own. You simply can't get a wholesale roaster to provide small quantities for any resonable price. But it does seem they've convinced many of you that a portion of their inexpensively produced high volume roasts is good enough for your business... (and a lot of others. No differentiation) I'll just agree to disagree because I know it's not true.

Conversely, I guess if you're selling like crazy and the money is flowing in like water with a two or three coffee program it's not an issue. One thing to examine is how much whole bean you sell. If you're not selling 20-30 pounds a week I'll pretty much guarantee it's because there's no variety or experience to be had. It's too easy to sit back and rationalize your program from a COG standpoint versus figuring out how to improve the program, and when it gets in the way of better product or potentially a source of incremental sales, it's a terrible detriment.

Hi Sunrise-

I thought I'd be cool and abbreviate single origins. I've seen it like that before. Yeah, just pure origins, no blends...
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links